Crowley's San Juan run

From what I’ve been told the big part of that problem is the captains won’t let anybody else handle the boat…

[QUOTE=seadonkey;132661]The invader class are 500 ton boats, I know they look for 1600 with oceans for that crap ass job not sure of they take anything other then that.[/QUOTE]
The Invaders are under 200 tons.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;132659]What’s the minimum license for Crowley’s offshore wire stuff? I know they want at least a 1600-ton oceans for their ATB’s but are the wire boats the same?[/QUOTE]

Look at their ads. They want 1600 oceans for all positions. They also want more stcw courses and endorsements than any other company. They pay a little extra for a DP certificate, but it has to be the lowest DP pay in the North America

My bad, a lump of shit is still a lump of shit though.

A 200-ton lump of shit that they still want a 1600-ton oceans ticket for. Silliness.

US shipping does the same thing for their ATB’s, just with unlimited licenses.

[QUOTE=z-drive;132707]US shipping does the same thing for their ATB’s, just with unlimited licenses.[/QUOTE]

I’ve heard Crowley and U.S. Shipping all say that it’s not them, it’s their charterers. Personally I don’t think the charterers know the difference so I think it’s just the KP boys in the office getting up to no good and discriminating against smaller licenses.

Crowley’s KP kids decided that they wanted a 1600 master when they could do that run with a MOT.

[QUOTE=Tugted;132715]Crowley’s KP kids decided that they wanted a 1600 master when they could do that run with a MOT.[/QUOTE]
Never worked the wire boats but have been through several vettings. The vettors were openly biased to hawsepipers and especially tugboat hands. A couple were taken aback that more than a few of us had unlimited licenses. They also wanted the utility hands to be at least STOSs.

Obviously they don’t promote from within because you can’t get an oceans ticket without mate time but at Crowley you can’t be a mate unless you have an oceans ticket. For tugboaters that seems like a pretty nasty slight against the guys on deck. If you can’t hawsepipe into the wheelhouse on a tugboat then where the hell can you? Tugboats were practically made for hawsepipers, just not at Crowley apparently…

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;132742]Obviously they don’t promote from within because you can’t get an oceans ticket without mate time but at Crowley you can’t be a mate unless you have an oceans ticket. For tugboaters that seems like a pretty nasty slight against the guys on deck. If you can’t hawsepipe into the wheelhouse on a tugboat then where the hell can you? Tugboats were practically made for hawsepipers, just not at Crowley apparently…[/QUOTE]
There were several guys went through the AB to mate program a few years ago. The guys went through all of the courses and training at piney point. Crowley paid the guys their AB base wage 28/28 while they were going through the program. 3 slops and a flop plus transportation and courses are paid by the SIU for members in good standing. Most came out with 3rd mate, the rest 1600 ton mate. Not sure if it’s still offered.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;132659]What’s the minimum license for Crowley’s offshore wire stuff? I know they want at least a 1600-ton oceans for their ATB’s but are the wire boats the same?[/QUOTE]

Same for line haul…as far as I know.

• Updated - - -

Thanks alot for all the feedback on this post! I appreciate it.
After reading the reviews and after talking to a couple of guys, I think I will stay put where I am.
Thanks again!

Did you ask them about any other opportunities? Interested to see what they said.

[QUOTE=seadonkey;132751]Did you ask them about any other opportunities? Interested to see what they said.[/QUOTE]

No, I did not. But, I heard from a Captain that does relief work for them that they were also hiring in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest.

Well let’s face it, i get the feeling they’re probably always hiring on the Alaskan rivers run. A job like that has to have a high rate of turn over.

I know a few people that did it for a few years and loved it. They said there are some guys who have been there for a while, however it is a stepping stone for quite a few, experience wise.

Almost 4 years later and run is still red hot!!! Never rode the boat or been on the run / but that sure look like some solid rigs , anyone have pictures of the inside ? How many crew members ?

Thanks for the info

Back when the “Storm of the Century” (The Perfect Storm) hit the East Coast, we had tried to head out of Delaware Bay bound for NY and got our Asses handed to us so we turned and came back up the Delaware River and Anchored near the C+D Canal.

It blew so hard the a couple of rigs anchored the dragged anchor and made for an interesting couple of hours.

So, there we stayed. After a couple of days we witnessed the hierarchy of Towing Companies. Crowley came down the river towing one of their jumbo Ro/Ro Barge. Our Mate on watch called the Crowley Tug and asked if they were nuts. They answered that it was unwritten company policy that if they could get off the dock they sailed! A couple of days later Bouchard Tugs got underway. We (Maritrans) sailed a couple of days after the Bouchard Tug and a week after Crowley had sailed.

So back to Crowley, I had a couple of friends that sailed for them and they all agreed that that run was for Younger Guys that did not mind getting the shit beat out of them.

2 Likes