Costa Concordia: the truth is rarely pure and never simple

I am afraid that keep going at Captain Schettino will prevent important lessons from being learned.
I have spent the last three years studying the accident and writing this book

I have written it for those who are willing to go beyond media coverage and judicial examinations.

The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

and who are you? According to Amazon you are a master & simulator instructor…how many years as each? How many cruiseships or other large tonnage vessels you command in your career?

what qualifies you to write this book and become an apologist for the master of the COSTA CONCORDIA? The actually grounding was bad but the master’s response was CRIMINAL! Does your book deal with proper management of major emergencies or pathetic lack thereof?

Hey look C. Captain. There actually is something we can agree on! The Captain of that ship was criminally negligent, foolish, cowardly, and was responsible for the deaths of those people who trusted him with their lives by sailing on his ship.

[QUOTE=TugNtow;154877]Hey look C. Captain. There actually is something we can agree on! The Captain of that ship was criminally negligent, foolish, cowardly, and was responsible for the deaths of those people who trusted him with their lives by sailing on his ship.[/QUOTE]

YEAH…take that Antonio Di Libido! We don’t take very kindly to Shittino apologists around these parts. Especially those who are apologizing for that human slug and plugging their book at the same time. Now, begone with you sir and make no haste in returning here.

I’d like to hear the justification for ‘showboating’

How a huge vessel ran up on the rocks. (Did they suddenly appear out of nowhere?)

How inaction, misinformation, confusion and panic was the scene on the bridge.

How passengers were left to fend for themselves unless a brave wine steward offered assistance.

How the fearless captain “fell” into a lifeboat and quickly landed ashore.

How the fearless captain could not answer key rescue question posed by the Italian CG. Then refused to obey CG orders to return to the ship and take charge.

Yes Antonio, what possible mitigating factors detract from C.Captain’s articulate description of your books main character?. And no, I’ll be damned if I’m going pay Amazon $40.17 to hear your answer.

I do not wish to defend the Captain.

Improvements to safety require a system analysis that aims to identify not only what went wrong but why.
In aviation the system approach to safety investigation started after the 1989 Air Ontario F-28 jet crash at Dryden.
If flying is so safe nowadays, it is also due to that investigation that went beyond the Captain errors.

Your comments demonstrate that in the maritime industry we still have to work on this.

While I do respect your ideas, I was surprised by the harshness of your comments and I will not react to any further provocations.
Is this the tone you would use while discussing with other persons in the real world?

I thought this was a forum to share ideas, and I trust there are professional mariners interested in these discussions.
If not, I will leave soon.

Clearly not a lot of sympathy for Captain Schettino at GCaptain!

Personally I support the court description that he is a reckless idiot and fully deserves his sentence. Having followed this incident since it occurred in January 2012 and collected all the material available in the public domain, I don’t need another book to explain how it should be done, particularly written by someone who has a limited experience in this industry (yeh, I checked Antonio’s background) although he did publish an excellent paper on the subject soon after the event. It is disappointing that Schettino was scapegoated as others should have been in the dock alongside him and also been sentenced, particularly the shipowner and shore superintendents who were well aware and condoned the practice of showboating. Even senior management at Carnival had a responsibility to assure that their Italian affiliate operated in a responsible manner so should have taken a proportion of the blame. Whatever we may say has little bearing on the case, as it was a totally Italian issue to address. It is just disappointing that the Italians did not provide our industry with a satisfactory and objective investigation report that identified both primary and root causes so that lessons could be learned by all. I guess we have to wait for the next similar event?

Shitow tried to kill everyone on the ship so lets consider the passengers who lived very lucky. In my opinion, Shitow should be hanged or shot instead of spending time in prison.

[QUOTE=lm1883;155238]I would like to know what went right with regard to passenger muster and evacuation, especially given that the captains leadership was nonexistent. We all agree that the event was preventable to say the least, but there are probably several instances where an AB or engineer, or junior officer used some ingenuity or quick thinking to mitigate these awful circumstances.[/QUOTE]

I’m sure there were many examples of crew doing everything possible to safeguard and evacuate passengers. They are not the target of criticism.

Once the collision occurred, It is the responsibility of senior officers to assess damage, provide single point of command/communication and coordinate an orderly evacuation.

I agree with Callpor, all senior officers as well as ship owners should have been on trial.

Antonio, your comments on the matter are welcome. c.captain does no, speak for the entire gCaptain Forum. I have deleted his earlier comment as it was rude and unprofessional.

[QUOTE=c.captain;154870]and who are you? According to Amazon you are a master & simulator instructor…how many years as each? How many cruiseships or other large tonnage vessels you command in your career?

what qualifies you to write this book and become an apologist for the master of the COSTA CONCORDIA? The actually grounding was bad but the master’s response was CRIMINAL! Does your book deal with proper management of major emergencies or pathetic lack thereof?

.[/QUOTE]

c.captain, why do you think that anyone who wishes to comment in the forum has to post their credentials first? Stop badgering people if they have something to say that you disagree with. You do nothing but degrade this Forum, have some respect and listen to what other people have to say.

Can I get an AMEN??!!??

[QUOTE=rob;155279]c.captain, why do you think that anyone who wishes to comment in the forum has to post their credentials first? Stop badgering people if they have something to say that you disagree with. You do nothing but degrade this Forum, have some respect and listen to what other people have to say.[/QUOTE]

well I did ask him to tell us what his command experience is in my first port to this thread. If he does have extensive command experience on large cruiseships he should tell us and then explain everything he believes is the story behind the story. I certainly believe a master’s responsibility is absolute and can forgive very very little in the way of failure to perform one’s duty. If Shittino was pressured by some corporate climate to do these fly bys for the passengers then his duty was to say no to his corporate handlers however the worst aspect of the entire COSTA CONCORDIA debacle was not the initial grounding but in the master’s actions afterwards which was as bad as any master has ever been guilty of. Worse than TITANIC by far! That only 35 persons lost their lives is a miracle in my eyes. Shittino deserves not one microgram of credit for any of that occurring!

What would you be saying to me now if more than a 1000 had perished? That could have happened if the ship did not drift ashore like it did.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=captaint76;155280]Can I get an AMEN??!!??[/QUOTE]

how bout a loud raspberry?

His credentials mean nothing to me or anyone else. If he has a valid point to make, this Forum is here to let him make it. If his point has holes in it, then you have the option to explain why his point is invalid.

This thread has nothing to do with Schettino right now, it’s about letting someone new come to the Forum and have their say without fear of being stomped on.

[QUOTE=rob;155285]His credentials mean nothing to me or anyone else. If he has a valid point to make, this Forum is here to let him make it. If his point has holes in it, then you have the option to explain why his point is invalid.

This thread has nothing to do with Schettino right now, it’s about letting someone new come to the Forum and have their say without fear of being stomped on.[/QUOTE]

fine, then the man should speak to what he claims. If anyone here starts a post with something controversial (which I believe you and I both agree with here) then the person should state the case for his claims with logic which will stand the pointy stick test.

To Mr. Antonio Di Lieto, per the request of Rob Almeida, I will refrain from any comments against your professional qualifications to allow you the opportunity to tell us in your opinion what hidden truths there might be to the COSTA CONCORDIA story which might give benefit of doubt to its master, Francesco Schettino? If you are claiming that he is a victim of a corporate culture which gave him no good options then explain why he was trapped to do the flyby of Isola Giglio? If you feel he was let down by the officers and crew of the CONCORDIA then give us evidence that he performed admirably and others under his command are the ones to have failed?

Just have the courage to stand by what you said originally at the start of this thread and I will give you the chance to tell your story here without prejudice on my part. However once you have stated the rationale for your claims then you must be prepared to be cross examined by a group of resident maritime professionals who reside at this forum. For your benefit, I promise I will not lead the questioning but be prepared for others to weigh in with their opinions. After they have, I reserve the right to come back myself with commentary and questions which I hope you will answer however I will not place myself as the sole judge in this discussion.

thank you

[QUOTE=callpor;155192]Clearly not a lot of sympathy for Captain Schettino at GCaptain!

Personally I support the court description that he is a reckless idiot and fully deserves his sentence. Having followed this incident since it occurred in January 2012 and collected all the material available in the public domain, I don’t need another book to explain how it should be done, particularly written by someone who has a limited experience in this industry (yeh, I checked Antonio’s background) although he did publish an excellent paper on the subject soon after the event. It is disappointing that Schettino was scapegoated as others should have been in the dock alongside him and also been sentenced, particularly the shipowner and shore superintendents who were well aware and condoned the practice of showboating. Even senior management at Carnival had a responsibility to assure that their Italian affiliate operated in a responsible manner so should have taken a proportion of the blame. Whatever we may say has little bearing on the case, as it was a totally Italian issue to address. It is just disappointing that the Italians did not provide our industry with a satisfactory and objective investigation report that identified both primary and root causes so that lessons could be learned by all. I guess we have to wait for the next similar event?[/QUOTE]

I am sorry but it is purely a lawyer like move to try an blame shoreside personnel or the ship owner for Schettino’s actions. The practice of showboating whether condoned or not does not excuse the lack of situational awareness of those on the bridge and in command that allowed the ship to be ripped open like it was as well as the subsequent actions of those people when the vessel was in distress.

Just my 2 cents.

I believe the ship owner shares partial responsibility in allowing the continuation of ‘Showboating’ .and failure to insure all crew were proficient in emergency procedures.

[QUOTE=c.captain;155287]fine, then the man should speak to what he claims. If anyone here starts a post with something controversial (which I believe you and I both agree with here) then the person should state the case for his claims with logic which will stand the pointy stick test.

To the original poster, per the request of Rob, I will defer to any comments against yourself professionally to allow you the opportunity to tell us in your opinion that there is more to the COSTA CONCORDIA story which might give benefit of doubt to Francesco Schettino. If you are claiming that he is a victim of a corporate culture which gave him no good options then explain why he was trapped to do the flyby? If you feel he was let down by the officers and crew of the CONCORDIA then give us evidence that he performed and others failed? Just have the courage to stand by what you say and I will give you the chance to say it here without prejudice on my part but once you have stated the rationale for your claims then you must be prepared to be cross examined by a group of maritime professionals. I promise I will not lead the charge for your benefit but be prepared for others to weigh in. After they have, I reserve the right to come back myself with commentary and questions I hope you will answer but I will not place myself as the sole judge in this tribunal.

thank you[/QUOTE]

If you read the book description on Amazon, you see the title is “Bridge Resource Management: From the Costa Concordia to Navigation in the Digital Age”. The blurb contains “What can be learned from the events of that night? The answers will lead to a new concept of Bridge Resource Management able to reform navigation in the digital age.” The about author section contains “He has been lucky enough to meet and work together with some of the experts that have given birth to the original concept of Bridge Resource Management. These are both visionary and tenacious people who have spearheaded progress within the maritime industry over the last few decades. This book would have not been possible without them.”

It does not appear that the author is defending anyone. It looks likes he wrote a book about lessons that could be learned from the accident. He even gives credit to others for work in the area. Off the cuff criticism seems unwarranted.

Fair Enough RB, so why doesn’t the OP come back and set us straight? If we are wrong, we’ll admit it. Hell, I bet even the curmudgeonly C.Captain will back down when the proper evidence is provided.

The problem began with the OP’s choice of thread title, compounded by him promoting his book and then not responding to critical inquiries…

The title phrase ‘the truth is rarely pure and never simple’ seems to imply what transpired was not the captains fault. Perhaps the collision was not his fault. I may grant that. But his actions and that of senior officers over the ensuing hours are totally on him.

If this book is not about defending the Captains actions, let us know.

OP, where are you?

[QUOTE=Rich Bogad;155304]It does not appear that the author is defending anyone. It looks likes he wrote a book about lessons that could be learned from the accident. He even gives credit to others for work in the area. Off the cuff criticism seems unwarranted.[/QUOTE]

I am just going to say in response that there are too many people these days taking the simple and making it complicated so they can write a book about it or get approved to teach some course. Bridge Resources Management is an overworn term for proper watchkeeping procedure. One man on any ship’s bridge has the conn and he directs the others on the bridge to take actions. He must be certain he takes the correct actions and to ensure those under his charge do likewise. It is not more complicated than that and with Schettino on the bridge and with the conn, all his and other’s actions are his responsibility. I believe the entire debacle leading to the grounding was people BS’ing and forgetting how fast they were going and how close to the rocks they were before the helm was put over. It was both FOLLY and MADNESS to not order all engines astern and to bring the ship to a stop before striking but instead to think they could get away with it! It is John Cota and the COSCO BUSAN all over again but with Italians and Indonesians instead of an American and a bunch of Chinese.