Cosco Busan Allision

Just came to my attention, the SF Bay Pilot aboard the Cosco Busan when it hit the Bay Bridge. Will be going to jail.

His pilot career is over but does he deserve jail time for soiling a couple birds?

If he had been at all humble and circumspect after the accident, he would deserve some mercy but his arrogance and hubris after it was more than clear that he was responsible makes him one I feel deserves a price to pay beyond a forced retirement (I am sure he will get his full pension as well).

How much time is he getting?

I don’t see this news anywhere online. Is this information public yet?

I must say Mad… you got this one right:

John Cota, Pilot Of The Cosco Busan, Pleads Guilty

So does John Cota deserve jail time for soiling some birds?

Some cohorts believe he deserves jail time. What do the gCaptain readers think?

Whether or not he deserves to go to prison is debateable; there were numerous failings in this case as detailed in the NTSB report. But to say that this amounted to nothing more than “soiling some birds” is, at best, an enormous understatement, and I’m being kind. Everyone should read [I][B]Uncharted Waters: Criminalizing the Cosco Busan Incident[/B][/I] from the Maritime Executive. We’re entering a new era with unknown consequences for all of us. Try to keep 'er between the buoys…

Good point. Things will change.

Probably not for the better either.

I think some of the reason for such a severe sentence was that he did not disclose all of the medication he was taking when he renewed his license(s)

This open up a whole new can of worms for us, be honest and face non renewal? Or obfuscate and risk jail? A friend of mine just told me that if you have a BMI of 40 or more, you will need a medical waiver, a tankerman of his is the victim.

A “GIVEN” PEOPLE: OUR GOVERNMENT IS NOW FULLY AWARE OF WHAT NOT TO EVER PUT PAST PILOT ASSOCIATIONS LEADERSHIP IN THE US OF A:
Published Drugs obtained by Petaluma pilot John Cota in the 60 days before the Nov. 7, 2007 Cosco Busan crash:

[B]200[/B] tablets of hydrocodone and acetaminophen, a painkiller, sold as Vicodin.
[B]190 [/B]tablets of propoxyphene, a painkiller, sold as Darvon
[B]120[/B] tablets of diazepam, a painkiller, sold as Valium
[B]50 [/B]tablets of pentazocine and naloxone, a painkiller, sold as Talwin
[B]27[/B] tablets of sumatriptan, which treat migraine headaches, sold as Imitrex
[B]180[/B] tablets of lorazepam, which treat anxiety, sold as Ativan
[B]90[/B] tablets of modafinil, which improves wakefulness in patients with sleep disorders, sold as Provigil
[B]90[/B] tablets of sertraline, an antidepressant, sold as Zoloft
[B]100 [/B]tablets of diphenoxylate and atropine, which treat gastrointestinal problems, sold under many names
[B]50[/B] tablets of prochlorperazine, which treat nausea, vomiting, schizophrenia and anxiety, sold as Compazine

HEY “[B]AMERICAN PILOT ASSOCIATION[/B]” - WHAT CHANGES ARE YOU GOING TO INSTILL IN YOUR ORGANIZATIONS YOU OVERSEE ? …OR ARE YOU STILL ASS DEEP IN INSURANCE LITIGATION WITH GREAT AMERICAN INSURANCE COMPANY FOR THEM NOT COVERING YOU DUE TO A “SEAWORTHYNESS ISSUE”…WHERE ONE OF YOUR ELITE LOST THEIR PILOT BOAT WITH DISCOVERY OF A DRUG USE ISSUE AS PER ARTICLE JUST PUBLISHED BELOW. YOUR REPS. MISLED THE NTSB PANEL ON 4/9/08 COSCO BUSAN HEARING…AND THE GOVERNMENT KNOWS ABOUT IT NOW…AWAITING YOUR NEXT DONATION AMOUNT AND TO WHO… TYPE IN “[B]GALTEX PILOT BOAT[/B]” OR “[B]Boat operator killed in accident had lost license five years earlier due to drug test[/B]”

Some interesting observations the NTSB NOW HAS BEEN MADE AWARE OF:
On 4/9/08 - NTSB PUBLIC WEBCAST INVESTIGATION:

Barnicle BOB of APA - You were under oath.
…and the legal council Rep. for APA… when asked specifically by the panel if you are aware of a problem within the associations with drug abuse…your reply was “[I][B]not significantly…we had one small group who was kinda in-the-dark on the Federal Regulations” ( end quote).[/B][/I] OBVIOUSLY THE ABOVE ARTICLE ( OBTAINED THROUGH FOIA ) CLEARLY SHOWS THIS ISSUE IS [B]MORE THAN JUST " NOT SIGNIFICANTLY[/B] ". Hey - last time checked…any fraudulent insurance claim over 200k is a [U]1st DEGREE FELONY[/U] in the State Of Texas.
The boat was insured for 365k.

Remember the old Christmas song " [I][B][U]Chesnuts Roasting on an open fire"… ?[/U][/B][/I] It is a fitting tune in this venue.

<!-- / message -->

"UNDERSTATEMENT " ? …WHAT IS GOING ON NOW BEHIND MANY A’ CLOSED DOORS IS NOT AN UNDERSTATEMENT. WE WILL SEE CHANGE - YOU CAN COUNT ON IT!

HEY “[B]AMERICAN PILOT ASSOCIATION[/B]” - WHAT CHANGES ARE YOU GOING TO INSTILL IN YOUR ORGANIZATIONS YOU OVERSEE ? …OR ARE YOU STILL ASS DEEP IN INSURANCE LITIGATION WITH GREAT AMERICAN INSURANCE COMPANY FOR THEM NOT COVERING YOU DUE TO A “SEAWORTHYNESS ISSUE”…WHERE ONE OF YOUR ELITE LOST THEIR PILOT BOAT WITH DISCOVERY OF A DRUG USE ISSUE AS PER ARTICLE JUST PUBLISHED BELOW. YOUR REPS. MISLED THE NTSB PANEL ON 4/9/08 COSCO BUSAN HEARING…AND THE GOVERNMENT KNOWS ABOUT IT NOW…AWAITING YOUR NEXT DONATION AMOUNT AND TO WHO… TYPE IN “[B]GALTEX PILOT BOAT[/B]” OR “[B]Boat operator killed in accident had lost license five years earlier due to drug test[/B]”

…and the legal council Rep. for APA… when asked specifically by the panel if you are aware of a problem within the associations with drug abuse…your reply was “[I][B]not significantly…we had one small group who was kinda in-the-dark on the Federal Regulations” ( end quote).[/B][/I] OBVIOUSLY THE ABOVE ARTICLE ( OBTAINED THROUGH FOIA ) CLEARLY SHOWS THIS ISSUE IS [B]MORE THAN JUST " NOT SIGNIFICANTLY[/B] ". Hey - last time checked…any fraudulent insurance claim over 200k is a [U]1st DEGREE FELONY[/U] in the State Of Texas.

Remember the old Christmas song " [I][B][U]Chesnuts Roasting on an open fire"… ?[/U][/B][/I] It is a fitting tune in this venue.

[QUOTE=Captmad;9731]So does John Cota deserve jail time for soiling some birds?

Some cohorts believe he deserves jail time. What do the gCaptain readers think?[/QUOTE]
ANSWER…THEY ARE INVESTIGATING THE FOLLOWING AND ASKING " WTF "…

<!-- / message -->

[QUOTE=john;9384]I don’t see this news anywhere online. Is this information public yet?[/QUOTE]
REGARDING NEWS…THIS ONE WILL BE CHANGING HISTORY…AND WE WILL SEE IT…

<!-- / message -->

[QUOTE=john;9384]I don’t see this news anywhere online. Is this information public yet?[/QUOTE]
JOHN…IT’S ALL OVER THE WEB…AND THIS ONE IS DEVELOPING:

<!-- / message -->
<!-- / message -->[RIGHT]<!-- controls --> <!-- / controls -->[/RIGHT]
<!-- message, attachments, sig -->

[QUOTE=c.captain;9364]If he had been at all humble and circumspect after the accident, he would deserve some mercy but his arrogance and hubris after it was more than clear that he was responsible makes him one I feel deserves a price to pay beyond a forced retirement (I am sure he will get his full pension as well).

How much time is he getting?[/QUOTE]
There is nothing HUMBLE on how these arrogant people operate… for it is refered to as “PILOTITIS”…a humble thinking that they are untouchable and walk on water…and can get away with anything they want to because of political clout and income level. But when insurance companies get involved - things will change…for they can not be bought…and they give a hell of a lot more to Senators and Congress than the idiots at large here do. :slight_smile: You will see change…behind closed doors at a MINIMUM…but it is at this time unavoidable.

<!-- / message -->
<!-- / message -->[RIGHT]<!-- controls --> <!-- / controls -->[/RIGHT]
<!-- message, attachments, sig -->

[QUOTE=Captmad;9362]Just came to my attention, the SF Bay Pilot aboard the Cosco Busan when it hit the Bay Bridge. Will be going to jail.

His pilot career is over but does he deserve jail time for soiling a couple birds?[/QUOTE]
“jail time” question…maybe his sponsors are pondering this very question right NOW…read on to developing story unfolding…

<!-- / message -->

Oilveoil.

What did the Pilots Association do to get on your bad side? You obviously have issues with their organization. I’m not picking a fight or attempting to defend anyone. I could give a rat’s ass about them but, You made a post that you seem to feel strongly about and I want to know if you have an agenda and if so, what it is.

I have know some to be a little egotistic and self centered but I guess that comes with the territory. It’s not like Work boat Captains are above the occasional tirade of self absorbency.

So… what gives? You get pushed out of the channel by an out bound deep draft back in the day, pass the pilots test and never got called?

There is always more to the story… Lets have it.

This is a redundant response to a redundant post, I apologize to those who have had to read this twice. I discovered olive’s other post and made the same comments there, before I realized this is the main page for this topic.

There is nothing HUMBLE on how these arrogant people operate… for it is refered to as “PILOTITIS”…a humble thinking that they are untouchable and walk on water…and can get away with anything they want to because of political clout and income level. But when insurance companies get involved - things will change…for they can not be bought…[B]and they give a hell of a lot more to Senators and Congress than the idiots at large here do.[/B] :slight_smile: You will see change…behind closed doors at a MINIMUM…but it is at this time unavoidable.

Are you insinuating that we on gCaptain are the “idiots at large”?

In my last post I stated that I was not picking a fight but I could quickly change my tune and I don’t think your “copy and paste” technique would serve you well…

You certainly do seem to have a burr under your saddle over this, whY?