Cooking at Sea

Temp can’t get above 212 until the water goes away, so you end up stewing instead of browning.

So is Halal/Kosher steak easier because, presumably less fluids?

I would think. But basically patting stuff dry will take care of it.

And dont crowd the pan!

2 Likes

Latent heat of vaporization. . . .

1 Like

I’m a SA I’ve been on the hitch about 3 months with 3 to go. It’s cool, today my Steward comes to me and tells me he wants me to start doing more stuff in the Galley. That he sees I have talent and take great pride in my work. He wants to start getting me ready to be cook. Today he made egg salad and put it plater with crackers and bang it looked great. He wants me to start coming up with stuff. I need some Ideals with recipes. I would really appreciate any help with this. Lunch is normally 25 to 35 also if I make extra it can go on the salad bar. O one of the things I thought might work is like a black bean salad tell me what you think.

1 Like

I posted 2 different salads for you in the galley tips thread. Hope they help. One is served hot the other cold. Whenever you triple or quadruple recipes like these, dont do the salt like that. You want to salt to taste. It’s easy to over salt otherwise.

Thank you so much!

1 Like

New video is up-

1 Like

Got my copy today… all I can say is Well Done!!

3 Likes

This one turned out pretty good- https://youtu.be/Gj9-E1jh4EY

This is a good website for new cooks or anyone wanting to try something new. Lots of options for most recipes-

Rhubarb-Ginger Jam in imitation of that made by Baxters of Fochabers, Scotland. It’s not quite the same but it’s pretty close.

(For their version see http://www.baxters.com/…/rhubarb-ginger-conserve-with-scott… .)

Makes about twelve eight ounce jars.

Five pounds Rhubarb pieces
Five pounds sugar
One or two eight ounce jars of ginger. (I did this a long time ago and can’t remember whether the bottled ginger was simply easier than fresh, or gave a closer result.)
Juice and zest (grated outer peel) of two lemons.
(10 drops red food color if desired)

Cook and bottle according to your favorite jam method or use this one from the BBC: https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/how_to_make_jam_75331

2 Likes

Here’s a good rich sturdy chocolate cake, none of your airy-fairy stuff. I grew up with it as highly desired birthday cakes. The recipe as written makes a 9" square. The woman we got it from was a thousand years old in the seventies, so I expect the recipe goes back a ways.

Phil Summerville chocolate cake

Preheat oven 350F. Lightly grease and flour the pan.

1 large egg
1/2 c cocoa (unsweetened, not Dutch process), cooked together with 1 c cold water and cooled.
1/2 c (1/4 lb, usually one stick) melted butter
1-1/2 c sugar
1-1/2 c all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring (or 180 grams by weight)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 rounded tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp hot water

Beat the egg. Add the sugar, cocoa mixture, and melted butter. Stir together.

Gently beat in the flour in thirds, together with the salt and vanilla.

Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water and stir it in. Turn the batter out into the pan and bake 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

Frost as desired after completely cool. Vanilla or peppermint butter frosting go very well with it.

NB: one of the “features” of this cake is that usually there will be an occasional little pellet of flour that didn’t get wetted properly. It’s normal. If you beat out every last little lump the cake will be tough.

1 Like

I use Mastercook 14 ! great software, Ive got like 40,000 recipes in an easily searchable database. I also avoid using prepared foods, I like to make as much from scratch as possible especially sauces, and I use a slow cooker whenever possiblle. but that is cooking for 5-10 people. larger crews could be more difficult in a small galley.

1 Like

I’ll have to check that out!

A great list of books for baking-

2 Likes

My favorite episode of John’s podcast so far. Haha

2 Likes

Reviving the thread. I wanted you to know I took your advice and made it an ebook. The formatting was a bitch but it is very user friendly. Thanks for the suggestion.

2 Likes

Its officially been a year i have been on this forum. Thank you to everyone for your support. I hope i have helped a few people along the way. Look forward to coming up with some new recipes this year to try.

4 Likes