Cooking at Sea

Don’t worry, man, you’re all ready doing better than Lockheed Martin. Also I did not know that the brits were using an off-sized tablespoon. Did they at least get the teaspoon right? It would be so tragic if they had that wrong, too.

Thanks. The tablespoon they use is bigger and the same with the teaspoon-sorry 1 American equals .83 British on both. Heres the conversion for teaspoon
https://www.traditionaloven.com/culinary-arts/volume/convert-teaspoon-tsp-us-to-teaspoon-tsp-uk.html

The rest of the world use metric units. No problem with the size of spoons, or the definition of “a pinch of salt”.:wink:

Thanks for the feedback. The trouble with spoon size is mostly in baking. If I were to follow a recipe from “The Great British Baking Show”, and they say add a tablespoon the British tablespoon is larger. So if they are following my recipes and assume a tablespoon is a tablespoon they would be adding too much of an ingredient. Baking needs to be a little more exact than most cooking.

Britain is now officially metric like the rest of the world. That is why you should not wast time on converting from one spoon size to another but go to metric units:
Weight: Gram, Dekagram (10 g.), Hektogram (100 g.), Kilogram (1000 g.)
Volume: Liter, Deciliter (1/10 l.), Centiliter (1/100 l.), Milliliter (1/1000 l.)
Centigrades: Water freezes at 0C. Water boils at 100C
All countries, other than USA, use the metric system:

Thank you. I appreciate your input. For dry ingredients, the rest of you are measuring by weight, and we measure by volume. I believe Australia also measures by volume.
So could a Brit chime in at some point? Are the British still using the Imperial system at all? They were as of last year, although they used weights as well.

Britain are OFFICIALLY metric, but I’m sure many still use the old ways when cooking.
(They still drive on the left hand side of the road, measure road distances in miles and speed in Mph)

As for me I don’t follow any recipes when cooking. It is more what is handy and take my fancy at the time. (Mostly “fusion food” of some sort) As for measurements it is more; “a pinch of this and dash of that”.
But then I don’t have to replicate a dish to taste exactly the same every time.

That’s fine for many things, but doesn’t work so well in baking or candymaking.

@CookingatSea I just checked the BBC recipe site – teaspoonsful and tablespoonsful abound there.

Yes I have that site bookmarked but didn’t want to argue about it. Thank you.

Until the cheat sheet is available for the international purchasers of the book, here is the way to convert the temperatures-
Temp in Fahrenheit minus 32 and then multiply that number by 5/9ths (.5555555556). For example, 212 degrees Fahrenheit minus 32 equals 180. 180 multiplied by .5555555556 equals 100 degrees Celsius. Hope that helps.

Measuring by volume is way more convenient, if you’re not baking for a multitude.

I was taking care of my grandparents for a time when I was a teenager. Grandpa always has oatmeal, Grandma always makes oatmeal every day for more than 50 years. Always like that. Grandma’s not up to making breakfast while I’m there, so its me and Grandpa trying to sort it all out for ourselves. Grandpa’s sitting at the table watching me put it together. He says, “Kiddo, are you measuring the oatmeal?” “Yes, Grandpa.” “Grandma never measures the oatmeal. Don’t tell her, but I like your oatmeal better.” Grandpa and I, we are scientists. Both my grandmothers were like that: they didn’t measure when they cooked. Even when making bread. Tragedy is, now that they’re gone, their recipes are gone too. Some of us in the family, myself included, get emotional when we pull off something that tastes like what one of them used to produce. My aunt, dad, and I nearly broke down when I found a recipe like their mom’s oatmeal lace cookies.

I loved your story. It reminded me of my grandmother and the cakes she used to bake. Thanks for sharing. Good memories. I am fortunate some of the recipes were written down. I’m eventually going to do a video series on my YouTube channel of me trying to duplicate them.

Should you preheat the pan when cooking?

It depends what you are cooking. If you are trying a steak or making eggs then yes. If you are making cookies, you normally wouldn’t want the cookie sheet hot first.
What are you specifically asking about?

veggies

If I was doing a stir fry I would heat the oil until it just starts to smoke and then add the vegetables. Does that help or were you cooking something else? If its stir fry, cook about 5 to 7 minutes.

Thanks - that’s what I was thinking about cooking over the Holiday weekend with some burgers and Italian sausage on the grill.

Another thing for anything you want to brown/saute/fry – have it dry. Heating up surface water takes a tremendous amount of heat out of the pan.

True story. Water: 4 J/g K Steam: 2 J/g K. Its the same reason that your superheater melts down, only now with veggies, its to your advantage.

It’s the heat of vaporization that kills you when you drop a wet steak into the pan.