Cooking at Sea

I will have to look for this show. I am a bit old school. I try and cook from scratch whenever I can, and that includes after a busy day at work. My wife is still working at it. . . I also have to eat a low sodium diet for health reasons (related to why I disappeared from the board for a couple of months last year). There s SO much sodium in our food, I hesitate to eat most prepared meals, and when I do, I keep it to a minimum.

I always cook from scratch. My last Big Mac was two years ago when I was out with the grandchildren. Beware of all processed food, canned stuff especially soup, almost all are poisonous for the system. I cut down on meat also, only two times a week because I have eaters then.

I just prepared from scratch a vegetarian ministrone soup. That is because my granddaughter, it is her favorite, is vegetarian but you cannot taste the difference. I made it for the occasion of just receiving her university degree in biology.

IMG_2519

2 Likes

A little different from regular videos. Since I have done a lot of my videos at home, I thought I’d show some boat stuff (I dont cook at work normally anymore) Hope you enjoy it- https://youtu.be/DsBPeWo43L0

The guidebook is now available in paperback!
This is my author spotlight page on the printer website so it’s easier to find me-
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/cookingatsea
20% off until it gets approved for general distribution then it goes back up to $25. Of the $25, I’ll get about 3.50 through Amazon and Barnes and Noble. $2.00 from each sale goes to my local food bank!

2 Likes

It seems that the "Galloping Gourmet " Graham Kerr , is still very much alive at 84 and living in Seattle.
Apparently he has released another book according to a Washington Post article by Rebeka Denn. I’m sorry I don’t know how to transfer the thread. The son whose expensive education in computers that I paid for lives 7000 miles away in Silicon Valley.

1 Like

You’re showing your age a little knowing who the Galloping Gourmet is haha. Wow that guy has written a lot of books. I didn’t realize he was still alive.

Several years ago for health reason and common sense I reverted to the food I grew up on minus a few salty things. We were not well off so meat was once or twice a week. Grits, oatmeal and cream of wheat worked in the mornings. We didn’t have gluten issues then for some reason. Box of cereal was a luxury. Vegetables, either fresh or from a jar or can, peanut butter, jelly and some bologna occasionally kept us with more than enough energy for 5 out of 7 days. We loved fried Spam on Saturday. A fresh killed chicken or a long dead ham on Sundays. Grandmom always has sausage, bacon and cured ham which was probably not good for us but it was like dessert, not too often and in moderation. For some reason most people weren’t fat then. But then again you didn’t stuff yourself every meal. We usually left a meal feeling like we could eat a little more if it was there. It is actually easier to eat healthy now. Frozen and canned vegetables are inexpensive as is chicken. However, I never want to see cream of wheat or bologna again, WTF is bologna anyway? Some fancy name they gave to ground up earlobes and foreskins soaked in salt?

1 Like

My grandmother said if you always left the table feeling like you could eat one more thing but don’t, you will never be fat.

2 Likes

My wife arriving in NZ from Illinois some 45 years ago looked in vain through supermarket shelves for a tin of pumpkin to make pumpkin pie. I had never heard of pumpkin as anything else but as pumpkin soup or roasted as a side dish to roast meat and the thought of it being canned I had trouble getting my head around. The British thought it was cattle food at the time.
I produced a pumpkin, showed my wife what I thought canned pumpkin would look like and it worked. I haven’t lost my taste for roast pumpkin but will enjoy pumpkin pie.
We eat our own home kill meat supplemented by venison and line caught fish if we are lucky.
Some Asian recipes have shown us how versatile the pumpkin is.

1 Like

We only had one channel and it was in black and white which did no favours showing the food to best advantage. But I seemed to observed that the more channels you get the more crap you get.

2 Likes

If I could hunt one other place in the world I’d like to go to NZ and get a couple of those stags. Beautiful animals.

This is a message just for anyone outside the United States who has recently purchased the guidebook. It never occurred to me that anyone outside the states would have an interest in this book. So all the temperatures are in Fahrenheit and the measurements are standard American measurements. For the Brits, also be aware that although some of our measurements are called the same thing (tablespoon for instance), they are different. I will be putting together a cheat sheet in the next couple days for the recipe section so the guidebook is of use. If I can post a word document on here I will but otherwise just email me at cookingatsea@outlook.com and I will either email it or if you prefer, I’ll send a hard copy. My sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the Regulo numbers for oven temps in UK – I bet there are still some out there.

Also, grades of sugar don’t exactly correspond, and what we call Jell-o they call jelly.

At some point I’m going to assume they will know some of this. I dont want to translate every single thing. Someone from France and someone from the Netherlands bought the book. I’m sure they understand it’s in American English. What bothers me mostly is the Fahrenheit to Celsius. A lot of cook books have both nowadays. Also the measurements would have been easy to put both in when I was building the book. It was short sighted of me. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Still learning I guess haha

2 Likes

Here’s a conversion table for all three: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_Mark

1 Like

No need to worry about measures. Foreign buyers of an American cook book know that they will need to covert F to C, lbs to kilos, etc. They also know to expect reference to American products and terminology. Thats easy for them to look up on google. Everyone in The Netherlands speaks English. Many people in France do too, especially mariners.

1 Like

Maybe I was worrying over nothing. I wanted to put out the best, most useful product possible. I appreciate your advice. Thank you

2 Likes

Thanks very much!

Here’s the link I use and which you can pass on to your readers:

https://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/

Does the arithmetic for me, compensates for the density of various ingredients, very handy.

Cheers,

Earl

5 Likes

Thank you Earl! Thats great