Consolidation of Merchant Mariner Qualification Credentials

I will certainly retract if it comes into light that people are receiving the MMC. I only said that, because, like I said, I had heard that it was going to come into effect in 4-5 years. I hadn’t heard anything about the MMC recently, and all of a sudden here it is coming out April 15th, so I’m a bit skeptical. But, please, prove me wrong!

Because government agencies are not permitted to discuss pending rulemaking until it is published. It was published two days ago, so there hasn’t been alot of time to talk about it. Now that’s published information will be coming often for the next month. Watch NMC’s web site, there are at least 5 “Information Bulletins” ready to go starting this week.

[quote=c.captain;10244]HA! What about the requirment to post one’s license! Somebody needs to remind the mighty (mouse) USCG of that one!

f’ing pinheads![/quote]

I’m sure the new book will fit in your current license rack. You can probably figure out how to get yours to stay up despite the smaller size.

Bravo for this move to the new MMC. It’s about time the US got off it’s soap box and moved into line with the rest of the maritime world with a consolidated mariner booklet of qualifications. Next we need to get rid of all the license levels and comply with STCW ratings, since there is this little issue that the USA IS a signatory of the IMO International Treaty too STCW, you’d think we would comply!!!:wink:

“Bravo for this move to the new MMC. It’s about time the US got off it’s soap box and moved into line with the rest of the maritime world with a consolidated mariner booklet of qualifications. Next we need to get rid of all the license levels and comply with STCW ratings, since there is this little issue that the USA IS a signatory of the IMO International Treaty too STCW, you’d think we would comply!!”

Agree ! It would be a win-win if the USA would catch up with the rest of the world. Though I disagree with foreign mariners in USA waters I do understand the large multinational companies drilling in US waters when they point out that USA mariners and their vessels are held to a lower standard than the vessels and mariners working on foreign flag vessels in the GOM. Large OSV, what’s next? Super-sized OSV? Why can’t the USA build and man a vessel like the UK, Norway and the rest of the developed world ? We know the answer to that question though, don’t we?

1. MMC Final Rule Released: information on the Merchant Mariner Credential consolidation. [U]http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/Whats_new_to_NMC/MMC_Release_Mar16_09.pdf[/U]

2. TWIC Information Bulletin: important announcement for all Mariners in regards to getting TWIC and how it applies to your Credential. [U]http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/TWIC_Information_Bulletin_%2013Feb.pdf[/U]

3. Relationship between MMC and TWIC: NMC will require a TWIC before issuing a credential. [U]http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/Relationship_MMC_TWIC_17Mar.pdf[/U]

4. Merchant Mariner Credential, new process and major change at NMC. [U]http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/MMC_Website.pdf[/U]

Additional information bulletins will be released over the next few weeks.

The MMC looks pretty well designed. Is this also going to serve as a seaman’s book, so the discharges will go right in there, or are we still going to have to keep all these pieces of paper?

Am I correct in assuming that an application currently at NMC “waiting to be evaluated” will get the new credential issued? I for one am glad to see it if it will help reduce the heap of documents I carry around with me.

It will be a complete on/off switch. One day we print the old, the next morning the new (not quite, there will be a day or two of no printing while we set up for the change). If yours gets approved before we swirtch, you get the old, if it’s after, you get the MMC. Whoever has the first file we send to print that morning will get the first one.

Thank you, Mr. Cavo
Again you help out only as you can. YOU should be a model for others in the NMC.