Coast Guard Budget Cuts in 2018

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;196006]Not so fast, Nelvana of the Northern Lights. In 2016, CBP had a $13.9 billion operations budget and produced $44.6 billion in revenue. Most, but not all government agencies suck money out of the treasury.[/QUOTE]

Nelvana. Ha! :slight_smile:

I did not know that, and Iā€™m not sure I approve.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;195960]http://abc7.com/news/coast-guard-seizes-more-than-$56b-in-cocaine-within-last-year/1575895/

56 Billion. Thatā€™s more than 6 times their total budget. And thatā€™s just the coke. Seems to me like youā€™re getting your tax-payer moneyā€™s worth and then some.[/QUOTE]

The war on drugs has made a lot of defense contractors billions of dollars, and cost a lot of people their lives. It hasnā€™t one made one iota of difference in the street price. The real measure of telling if seizures were working would be if every time they grabbed 10 million in coke off miami the street price in south florida went up.

Iā€™ll give you a hintā€¦it never does.

The war on drugs has been lost. Time to sign the peace treaty and get on with life. Thereā€™s no stopping someone who seeks to obtain and use drugs, and there never will be. De-criminalize all of it and prioritize other illegalities.

I know the jail and defense contractors will not allow that to happen though.

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;196032]The war on drugs has been lost. Time to sign the peace treaty and get on with life. Thereā€™s no stopping someone who seeks to obtain and use drugs, and there never will be. De-criminalize all of it and prioritize other illegalities.

I know the jail and defense contractors will not allow that to happen though.[/QUOTE]

Just because itā€™s wrong headed to punish farmers and users (who are the ones suffering the most from the industry), doesnā€™t mean thereā€™s nothing to be done. Letting guys like el chapo go unchecked, letting addictive poisons cross boarders free. Things can get worse, even in your city.

//youtu.be/wwJkqTZ5H_s

Anyone, whether living with mom and dad in the suburbs or in filth in a back alley with the mindset of shooting up dope for a short period of ecstasy , knowing thereā€™s a fifty-fifty chance it will kill them within minutes needs mental help, not incarceration. The acquaintances they make in prison teach them to be better criminals or they become crazier. The corporations running the jails benefit when they get caught again and the troops fighting in the drug war stay busy trying to stem the flood knowing they are not making a dent.
There are plenty of thugs willing to do whatever it takes to replace the likes of El Chapo when they are taken down.
This charade has been going on far too long. Einstein said it best:" Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

1 Like

The ā€œWar on Drugsā€ has been going on for years and cost US Tax payers Trillions, without any real effect on the trade, or on the number of new addicts every year.

If those same monies had been spent on free education and universal health care, the result may have been VERY different.
The cost of incarcerating millions of generally harmless users would have covered the cost of rehabilitation of those same users.

Sorry, un-American thinking again!! I will probably be banned from entering USA for venturing such thoughts.

[QUOTE=ombugge;196038]The ā€œWar on Drugsā€ has been going on for years and cost US Tax payers Trillions, without any real effect on the trade, or on the number of new addicts every year.

If those same monies had been spent on free education and universal health care, the result may have been VERY different.
The cost of incarcerating millions of generally harmless users would have covered the cost of rehabilitation of those same users.

Sorry, un-American thinking again!! I will probably be banned from entering USA for venturing such thoughts.[/QUOTE]

For a small fee, I will sponsor your visa as long as you promise not to stay for more than 48 hours.(For your own safety)

[QUOTE=ombugge;196038]The ā€œWar on Drugsā€ has been going on for years and cost US Tax payers Trillions, without any real effect on the trade, or on the number of new addicts every year.

Sorry, un-American thinking again!! I will probably be banned from entering USA for venturing such thoughts.[/QUOTE]

We have education and healthcare here, and at the same time the most concentrated drug epidemic in North America, maybe in the West. Thereā€™s no magic bullet, but better mental health care and more opportunities in the rural and first nations parts of the countries would help: seems like all of their hard luck circles around the drain of Vancouver. Still I canā€™t help but focus my anger on the people who profit from it: the dealers, the kitchen-chemists, the organized crime, the smugglers. Am I really so wrong?

[QUOTE=Emrobu;196048]We have education and healthcare here, and at the same time the most concentrated drug epidemic in North America, maybe in the West. Thereā€™s no magic bullet, but better mental health care and more opportunities in the rural and first nations parts of the countries would help: seems like all of their hard luck circles around the drain of Vancouver. Still I canā€™t help but focus my anger on the people who profit from it: the dealers, the kitchen-chemists, the organized crime, the smugglers. Am I really so wrong?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are. You didnā€™t include politicians, LE organizations, prison guard unions, and who knows how many other govt or govt affiliated entities.

todayā€™s news