CNO: U.S. Navy Warships Will Start Transmitting AIS

thank effing God! the Navee brass finally realizes its arrogant ways of operating its vessels at sea amidst thousands of civilian merchant vessels is DANGEROUS!

just love this quote:

"We had, I think, a distorted perception of operational security that we kept that system [turned off] on our warships,” said Chief of Naval Operatons John Richardson in testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee yesterday. “One of the immediate actions following these incidents – particularly in heavily trafficked areas – we’re just going to turn it on.”

2 Likes

Good. I see no reason why a navy ship in an area of commercial shipping lanes and traffic needs to have its AIS turned off.

If they are in a war zone or have an operational reason to not be seen that’s a different story of course.

Met one yesterday still running silent. It would also be nice if they have a proper Class A AIS.

I still will bet anyone that the Navee won’t release the tracks of the FITZGERALD or the McCAIN to the world even with this great revelation on their parts. It is hard to completely expunge hubris when it is so systematically entrenched in a huge bureaucracy as the USN.

Yes he is ordering AIS be turned on in certain location but in the same testimony he also agreed “fully, 100% sir!” With the assinine idea of a certain Senator from Maine that all radar and electronic alarms sound in the captain’s cabin.

Had their been one man in the room who has any real seatime on a bridge the hearing “might” have accomplished a lot more than getting the CNO to make the obvious decision to turn on AIS in heavy traffic.

1 Like

Good. I see no reason why a navy ship in an area of commercial shipping lanes and traffic needs to have its AIS turned off.

The only time I’ve ever been shot at on a Navy ship was in the Strait of Malacca, and again in the Gulf of Aden near the entrance to the Red Sea.

To be fair, in the second one we were alongside a civilian ship that had been taken by pirates, getting ready to storm her to take her back for the crew, so that makes sense. I’m still a bit salty that the Dubuque CO leaked the story so the Marines got all the credit and we barely got a footnote despite being in command of the whole event, hah.

EDIT to clarify: We were sailing under a Turkish commander as part of the anti-piracy group, but my ship was in charge of the local operation to take the ship back from the Somalian pirates.

I have not been able to find any Navy ships broadcasting AIS on the usual sites. I also haven’t looked too hard. Just saying I’d like to see some proof of this if anyone can help.

I have reached out to our private AIS company contacts but no luck so far.

I found one: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:5196166/mmsi:338847000/imo:0/vessel:US%20GOV%20VESSEL

Not much info and last position 2 days ago, but at least they HAVE been there.

Marine Traffic shows a USGOVVESSEL across from the sub pens in San DIego:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:455365/mmsi:368926095/imo:0/vessel:USGOVVESSEL

It’s probably one of the security boats though, judging from it’s past track and speed profile.

No it was first mentioned right here on this forum: More respect for US Navy officers and enlisted personnel needed
Post 190

@c.captain tell Tony I said hi when you talk to him :grinning:

but what did you go and do with my last post John?

It’s a conspiracy I tells ya…a conspiracy against competing maritime news sources is what it is!

well you ain’t gonna conspire against me!

HAH!

the few times i have seen warships on ais they vaguely call themselves ‘us gov vessel’ or ‘naval unit with the hull #’

if i remember correctly there is a munitions dock across the channel from the sub pens.

It’s probably one of the security boats though, judging from it’s past track and speed profile.

100% not one of the security boats.

Yep, my mistake. I had several marine traffic pages open at the time and pasted the wrong one.

The GW Bush pops up as NGHW when they’re transmitting. Maybe some standardization would be good for how USN ships transmit too.

Transmitting her international radio call sign. That would be a very nice standardization, and easy enough to look up.

1 Like

I saw the USS Iwo Jima transmitting as the Iwo Jima a few months ago off of the Carolina Capes.

Yup, I’m pretty sure that when we transmitted on AIS, we used our callsign of NBBP as well, but that was a long time ago, and that involved having sparky install a cutout switch on the transmitter when we went MSC and had to stop transmitting constantly.

Leaving Jacksonville FL earlier today: