Chief Mate Seatime

Good afternoon-
I’m was curious if anyone had any knowledge on how the NMC keeps track of sea time to settle a debate with a friend. If someone ends up getting off their current ship as 2/m unlimited a day or two short of the year required for CM UNLT, but they have more than enough total days because when they upgraded to 2/m they had excess days on their 3/m license, would that likely be a hold up at the NMC, or do they generally look for the total sea time from your sea time letter? I would assume it’s a 50/50 chance they’re approved to test.
Thanks

Here is the reg.

§11.405 Service requirements for chief mate of ocean or near-coastal self-propelled vessels of unlimited tonnage.

(a) The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for an endorsement as chief mate of ocean or near-coastal self-propelled vessels of unlimited tonnage is 1 year of service as officer in charge of a navigational watch on ocean self-propelled vessels [B]while holding a license or MMC endorsement as second mate.[/B]

[QUOTE=Chtwn4;189104]Good afternoon-
I’m was curious if anyone had any knowledge on how the NMC keeps track of sea time to settle a debate with a friend. If someone ends up getting off their current ship as 2/m unlimited a day or two short of the year required for CM UNLT, but they have more than enough total days because when they upgraded to 2/m they had excess days on their 3/m license, would that likely be a hold up at the NMC, or do they generally look for the total sea time from your sea time letter? I would assume it’s a 50/50 chance they’re approved to test.
Thanks[/QUOTE]
It,s not a “50/50 chance” it’s more like zero. All of the time for chief mate has to be while holding 2nd Mate.

1 Like

Yes, Sir, the chance is zero. I was in the middle of a four month voyage when I reached my one year as unlimited third mate. The OCMI in New York made it very clear that I would lose the additional time once I had the new Second Mate unlimited license in hand. Sometimes the planning is difficult when the jobs are few. Get the time and upgrade. That is the strategy.
Regards.

Apply by email while onboard. The 2m only needs to be issued, not in your hand.

CFR Paragraph 10.207 ©
(3) Sea service acquired prior to the
issuance of the license held is generally
not accepted as any part of the service
required for raise of grade of that li-
cense. However, service acquired prior
to issuance of a license will be accepted
for certain crossovers, endorsements or
increases in scope of a license, as ap-
propriate. In the limited tonnage cat-
egories for deck licenses, total accumu-
lated service is a necessary criterion
for most raises in grade; service ac-
quired prior to the issuance of such li-
censes will, therefore, be accepted

For an unlinited license, it appears to make no difference when one applies for the license, the test at the REC passed
and the document issued. At that point the mate has to have the document in hand in order to sail and acquire service recency for his next upgrade.