Check out the SS El Yunque

Credit gCaptain FB page - Sister ship to the El Faro, spotted December 19, 2016 in the Panama Canal. Dead tow. Headed for scrapyard? Please note all the interesting follower comments.https://www.facebook.com/27223368885/photos/pb.27223368885.-2207520000.1482358184./10154747161153886/?type=3&theater

WTF? you nitwit…did you not read the gCaptain Facebook page? they confirmed the EL JUNKE is going to scrap right in the comments

gCaptain Interesting article from October 2015 by New York Times. Also the El Yunque has officially been laid up since August and we’re told headed to scrapyard

looks like it?

The white marks are to detect any water ingress without having to be on board - I.e. To detect a change in trim and draught. Most ships that suffer these markings are en route to the scrapyard? PER - Alick MacLellan

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;193648]looks like it?

The white marks are to detect any water ingress without having to be on board - I.e. To detect a change in trim and draught. Most ships that suffer these markings are en route to the scrapyard? PER - Alick MacLellan [/QUOTE]

enroute to Brownsville is my guess

[QUOTE=c.captain;193651]enroute to Brownsville is my guess[/QUOTE]

I’ve made a dozen dead ship tows to Andy International. 4 were tandem tows. That’s a draining feeling watching the ship breakers chop up vessels.

I towed the Westward Venture, a sister ship, to Brownsville about 6 years ago.

I thought some variation of those (El Morro, El Yunque, *El Faro) ships were supposed to relieve the North Star and Midnight Sun while they converted to LNG? Obviously the El Faro didn’t make it but I was wondering if the plan ever happened with the other two vessels?

[QUOTE=c.captain;193647]WTF? you nitwit…did you not read the gCaptain Facebook page? they confirmed the EL JUNKE is going to scrap right in the comments[/QUOTE]

I am not going to argue with you c.captain all I was doing pointing out a recent interesting post on the gCaptain FB page. From 12/20/2016. with several FB interesting comments. Your [U]post edit[/U] and nitwit name accusation was not necessary.

Slick Cam - good point, yup and they were in the process of converting the the El Faro for Alsaka service. I beleive the Polish nationals were updating it so she had heat.

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;193670]Your post edit and nitwit name accusation was not necessary.[/QUOTE]

BOSH! you are not only a nitwit but also a pipsqueak as well

[QUOTE=c.captain;193672]BOSH! you are not only a nitwit but also a pipsqueak as well[/QUOTE]

whatever, I have come a long way for being an inexperienced cadet. I am proud of what I have learned about this industry with your guys help.

Cheers,
Happy Holidays to all of you.

DSD

Now mind your manners and don’t talk back to your elders!

[QUOTE=c.captain;193675]Now mind your manners and don’t talk back to your elders![/QUOTE]

I have to talk back a little bit so you know I have salt in my blood. LOL :slight_smile:

She could be used as a new training ship somewhere. Don’t scrap her yet.

go right ahead squeakboy

She could be used as a new training ship somewhere. Don’t scrap her yet.

you should apply to the French Surete for employment…they’ve been seeking a world class IDIOT to fill the shoes of the late Inspector Clouseau

but when you show up for the interview, make sure you bring your Minkey with you…that way there can be a smart one in the Ruume

Former chief inspector c.captain

Tote management probably moved up the scrapping date - no sense tempting fate with any liability of a sister ship that is due to be decommissioned soon.

that’s what I heard, luriline is next so the rumor has it

[QUOTE=rshrew;193707]that’s what I heard, luriline is next so the rumor has it[/QUOTE]

Thanks, rshrew I did not know previously that Lurline was also built by Sunship Building and Drydock Co. Lurline looks like she is Hull #662 The SS El Yunque is Hull #674

Source of info: and some history on those sequence #s

http://www.sunship.org/trailerships.html

Guess they just went to a single ship sailing schedule while each of the Orca’s convert to LNG. I could find no indication of relief vessels being brought in to cover for them.

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;193677]I have to talk back a little bit so you know I have salt in my blood. LOL :slight_smile:
[/QUOTE]

Yeah but it isn’t from seawater.