Carolina Coast and Barge

Anyone hear anything about the Carolina Coast losing its barge off VA Beach last night? It was right nasty and we heard the CG hailing them all night long with no reply.

One of my friends just asked me about that. The last MarineTraffic fix shows them doing 4kts near the end of the SE sea lane that leads to Cape Henry. That’s a damn big barge to chase down in a nor’easter.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;196175]One of my friends just asked me about that. The last MarineTraffic fix shows them doing 4kts near the end of the SE sea lane that leads to Cape Henry. That’s a damn big barge to chase down in a nor’easter.[/QUOTE]

Heard another CG transmission a little while ago saying the barge is adrift 5 miles SE of Cape Henry… But with two people on board. I don’t envy those guys right now.

Thank you for maintaining a listening watch. The waves/swells are about 6-7 and possibly up to 10-12 feet in this area. The Gale Warning remains in effect.

They can drop the hook possibly. That’s a sandy bottom and less than 100 feet deep.

Bummer about them losing their tow. I hope they recover it soon and everyone is safe.

I had that boat nearly 30 years ago when she was “Ashley Hale” towing container barges in the mid Atlantic and Northeast. An absolute towing beast with a wheelhouse you could roller skate in.

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;196180]Thank you for maintaining a listening watch. The waves/swells are about 6-7 and possibly up to 10-12 feet in this area. The Gale Warning remains in effect.[/QUOTE]

…because you know so much about posting a proper lookout and standing a watch.

What barge ? Cement transporter?

I think they still have a sugar barge. The boat was named the Falcon from Allied then Kirby and that’s the run they did. I think Dann got that contract with the boat.

It looks like they are heading into Norfolk. They are making 3.3kts.

Damn good for them , picking up a runaway barge offshore isn’t the easiest task in those conditions

Just past her inbound near Lambert’s Point. I guess everyone was recovered safely off the barge.

what’s the story with the barge it’s look like the rounded up in the anchorage , but was the wire actually parted ?

[QUOTE=Tugslasthitch;196206]what’s the story with the barge it’s look like the rounded up in the anchorage , but was the wire actually parted ?[/QUOTE]

Couldn’t say. I wanted to call them on 13 but I’m just the deckhand, I try to stay off the radios.

This is my first post on here.Just saw this discussion. I was one of the deckhands that was put on barge to help recover. I am relatively new to the tug industry but have worked on the water all my life. I will have to say it was the most scariest moment I ever had on the water. In big seas and gear sliding across deck it was a real eye opener. After breaking our emergency tow line we eventually got on the barge to rerig the shock line. Most important thing I learned was you only get one life and never take unnecessary risks. Watch your fellow crew and hope they are watching out for you.

1 Like