Career Advice in the Tug Industry

[QUOTE=jhrdlick;178435]Hi everyone, looking for career advice in the Tugboat industry. I’m a young guy looking for a career change to eventually become a tug capt/pilot. I’ve briefly looked up some schools, but I don’t want to do too much research on that until I get some questions answered about the schedule and hours of a tug crew first.

I’ve heard that 2wks on 2wks off is a [I]normal [/I]schedule. But I’ve also heard guys say that they work 1wk/1wk or even 1-2 days. Is there any reasoning behind this? I would assume crews that work local jobs are the ones working 1-2 days. I personally would like to work the southeast coast - any idea on what my schedule would look like? I know this depends on company, but at least an estimate or maybe first-hand knowledge?

How’s the work/life balance? I have a girlfriend who I plan on marrying, she’s not too keen on the whole 2wk/2wk schedule. I could probably swing the 1wk/1wk deal. But are jobs like that scored through seniority? Should I even consider this if she doesn’t like me being away from home for too long?

I know, a lot of questions…I just love being on the water and want to get more involved with pretty much all things nautical, I can definitely see myself getting passionate about a job like this and the comradery that comes with it.

Thanks - look forward to hearing your thoughts.[/QUOTE]

What type of pilot do you have your sights set on? A docking pilot holding a Federal license or a State pilot with both State and Federal licensing? Know what you’re shooting for before you get your feet wet.
What port or ports are you seeking to be a pilot candidate in? It matters. A lot.
I have to concur with my colleagues regarding keeping the girlie or choosing a tough, yet very rewarding career.
If she’s unhappy with the prospect of you being away for these periods of time, she’s going to downright come to hate you when you actually get out there.
35 years on tugs and ships for me now. Came up on deck. Did a lot of kewl shit too.
Then again, I turn 50 next month, have never been married, have no children and I’m staring down old age alone.
Of course, your mileage may vary.

[QUOTE=capnfab;178530]What type of pilot do you have your sights set on?[/QUOTE]

While you may be right I read his statement as meaning tug boat pilot, as in Mate/Pilot of Towing.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;178544]While you may be right I read his statement as meaning tug boat pilot, as in Mate/Pilot of Towing.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.

Okay you all have said what I’ve been thinking, but I just needed to hear someone else say it to me.

Thank you, the honest feedback is much appreciated. I still would like to work in the industry in one way or another, just won’t be working tugs until I’m single.

Who the hell is Jodie??

[QUOTE=capnfab;178530]What type of pilot do you have your sights set on? A docking pilot holding a Federal license or a State pilot with both State and Federal licensing? Know what you’re shooting for before you get your feet wet. What port or ports are you seeking to be a pilot candidate in? It matters. A lot. [/QUOTE]

I was actually referring to a docking pilot, and if I were to be going for that I would like to have both Federal and State. As far as ports go, I hadn’t given that too much thought. As this point I was looking at ports in Virginia - Charleston, SC - Savannah, GA - or any Gulf jobs.

My company swung a sharp axe this week. Lots of people lost their jobs. Those of us who survived are looking over our heads waiting for the anvil to drop on our heads.

It’s not pretty nor does it inspire confidence or morale.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;184082]It’s not pretty nor does it inspire confidence or morale.[/QUOTE]

Had I known more about the industry a year ago perhaps I wouldn’t have started putting money towards changing careers, getting my credentials and basic training endorsement. Maybe it’ll get better before I have to renew in 5 years. Best of luck to you folks still hanging on.

Honestly if I could get out of it I would but I can’t afford to start from scratch now. I have bills and a mortgage to pay and it would be a long time, if ever, before I got back to making the same money I’m making now.

macallister?

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;184082]My company swung a sharp axe this week. Lots of people lost their jobs. Those of us who survived are looking over our heads waiting for the anvil to drop on our heads.

It’s not pretty nor does it inspire confidence or morale.[/QUOTE]

That sucks, how many people?

Allegedly Kirby has laid some people off too. Bad times spreading north.

[QUOTE=z-drive;184095]Allegedly Kirby has laid some people off too. Bad times spreading north.[/QUOTE]

You can bet your a$$ the tug companies will use the surplus of mariners to lower their operating costs. It won’t be as pronounced this cycle for the wheelhouse. The towing endorsement softens that some.

Meanwhile Bouchard is shorthanded.

didn’t they just switch to 3/3 causing them to be shorthanded

BOUCHARD is a 21/21 company. Always has been. They run short handed on purpose.

So the layoffs aren’t a result of all these OSV guys coming to take your jobs? Imagine that!

Any have any actually information

I thought that was for capts, mates and chiefs… Deckhands i thought were doing 28/14

pretty sure that’s right but I could be wrong , never worked there

Yes that’s right