Captain Richard Phillips Receives NCAA Awa

Massachusetts Maritime Basketball Standout Captain Richard Phillips Receives NCAA Award Of Valor

Captain Richard Phillips, a 1979 graduate of the Massachusetts Maritime Academy who last April was the center of international attention for his heroism and bravery during the hijacking of the Maersk Alabama by Somali Pirates, received the 2009 National Collegiate Athletic Association Award of Valor last Friday evening at the 2010 NCAA Honors Celebration held at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis. Captain Phillips was presented with the Award of Valor by Massachusetts Maritime Director of Athletics Bob Corradi.

The NCAA Award of Valor is presented to recognize courageous action or noteworthy bravery by persons involved in intercollegiate athletics. Award of Valor recipients are current intercollegiate athletics coaches or administrators and current or former varsity letterwinners at NCAA institutions who, when confronted with situations involving personal danger, acted with valor to avert or minimize potential disaster. Valor is described as “the strength of mind or spirit that enables a person to brave danger with boldness and firmness.”
Captain Phillips shined on the basketball court during his matriculation at Massachusetts Maritime, as he lettered for the Buccaneers under former Head Coach Bob Brown during his sophomore season in 1976-77. A native of Winchester, Mass., he graduated from the Academy in 1979 with a degree in Marine Transportation.

Pictures of the awards ceremony can be viewed on this weblink;

Isn’t his crew suing him for ignoring the warnings and putting them in harms way?

Story here:

I just caught the tail end of a news special about the hijacking incident. It appears that the the boat was where is was not supposed to be by a couple hundred miles. The crew they interviewed were not happy campers. I don’t think they were going to buy his book. Again, I only caught the last few minutes of the show.

Edit: the show is Anderson Cooper 360. Here is the webpage for the video: http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2010/05/25/dnt.griffin.maersk.crew.speak1.cnn.html

I just saw the Alabama in Salalah Oman. It had Razor wire around the rails, rear looking radaron the fantail, LRAD on the Bridge roof. and new windshields on the Liferaft

I had a beer with him in DC about two weeks ago. He seemed like a nice guy. He was very open in discussing “the story” but I guess he is trying to sell his book. The Maersk suits he was with were kissing his ass real hard.

http://www.boxer.senate.gov/en/press/photos/051310a.cfm

[QUOTE=skycowboy;33490]I just saw the Alabama in Salalah Oman. It had Razor wire around the rails, rear looking radaron the fantail, LRAD on the Bridge roof. and new windshields on the Liferaft[/QUOTE]

New windshields on the liferaft? Wonder why?