Cadet pay

It’s good advice, but I wouldn’t necessarily follow it myself.

It was more of an observation than advice. My advice is to get the facts from a reliable source.

Assuming that the company does in fact intend to pay the cadets there is a process that has to occur for that to happen. In my experience if something goes wrong with that process it’s sometimes the case that the crew member assumes it’s deliberate non-payment rather than an error.

I don’t know what happened here but first step is to verify that it is in fact company policy not to pay cadets.

1 Like

The office has said to the captain on here they do not pay cadets

You are being used as free grunt labor, and being taken advantage. You should be getting a modicum of pay in order to cover cost of living while you’re with that outfit. The $33 a day most cadets get helps to cover your bills, travel, and course credit costs. Perhaps some beer money too.

Slavery is no longer a part of legitimate seafaring. That company should be ashamed of themselves and they are likely a bunch of dirtbags at the office.

1 Like

I know a couple of companies that don’t pay cadets. They are bottom of the barrel but it’s done. The CFR quoted pertains only to USMMA cadets and no one else. There is no requirement to pay cadets and they are looking at it as an unpaid internship. I don’t agree with any companies that do this.
@Kgers should contact the cadet ship person at GLMA but you may not care for their response, which will probably be very similar to what I wrote.

2 Likes

My comments were my opinion based on industry norms and just common decency. Any company working people for free, no matter the reason, is ethically deficient.

2 Likes

I think so as well. But, I’m just giving @Kgers the CFR they asked for.

§ 310.60 Training on subsidized vessels.
All operators of subsidized merchant vessels, in accordance with contractual arrangements, are required to employ for training at least two midshipmen, as assigned by the Superintendent of the Academy, which employment shall be in accordance with the following provisions.

(a)Work assignments. All practical work assignments for midshipmen shall be in accordance with courses prescribed by the Superintendent of the Academy.

(b)Working hours. In order to permit midshipmen to complete their academic assignments, vessel employers shall not require midshipmen to work more than 8 hours each day. Midshipmen shall devote at least 3 hours of their own time each day to study.

©Pay. Midshipmen shall receive pay while employed aboard merchant vessels directly from the steamship company employers at the same rate received by cadets and midshipmen at the other Federal academies. A change in the rate of pay for midshipmen at the Academy shall occur after a change in the rate of pay for cadets/midshipmen at the other Federal academies and shall be effective either on June 15th or on December 15th of the same calendar year, whichever occurs first. While aboard ship, they shall be berthed in single-occupancy rooms or in rooms with other midshipmen in that part of the vessel designated for licensed officers (or in first-class passenger quarters) and shall mess with the licensed officers. The steamship company employers shall also pay the midshipmen such subsistence and room allowance in port, transportation allowances, and other bonuses or allowances as are paid to the licensed officers of the vessel in which the midshipmen are employed.

(d)Berthing and messing. While aboard ship, midshipmen shall be berthed in single-occupancy rooms or in rooms with other midshipmen in that part of the vessel designated for licensed officers (or in first-class passenger quarters) and shall mess with the licensed officers.

Funny story, the UK signed up to the MLC convention but asked for a delay to change a few laws, one was you dont have to pay a seaman on a UK vessel just food, shelter and insure them.
Humane slavery…lol
BUT on the land you cant even have a student come in for work work experience without paying them, which prevents lots of that stuff in the UK