Breaking the 100 Ton glass ceiling

It doesn’t have to be. Assuming it’s even required (i.e. for an oceans endorsement) the requirement is too take a Coast Guard exam, not a course.

The last time that I checked in order to hold a 500T license, you have to take celestial navigation. I have never had to take an exam at a USCG Rec Center because I have gone through maritime training schools for my training, upgrades, and refresher courses in order to maintain my license. Besides that, some of my endorsements were grandfathered in because I have held a license for so long which has also included my sea time.

Thanks for setting me straight on the 100T sailing endorsement. However, this man is wanting to upgrade from 100T to 500T, and you have to take celestial navigation in order to hold a 500T license.

Except you don’t. I currently hold a 500 ton without celestial. Celestial is on for an oceans route.

1 Like

The man was trying to upgrade to 500T with oceans! I should have been clearer on my reply. You must work Near Coastal!

Precisely

Thanks! Sorry about that but these posts can get confusing at times. I was only trying to bring up about celestial navigation because it can be an extra requirement and expense.

It’s never been required. You can get a near coastal license without it.

The original post does not specify what route the 100 GRT license is for. Unless he was first issued a Master 100 GRT license for oceans more than 20 years ago, it’s very unlikely his 100 GRT license is for oceans. It’s been at least 20 years since we issued that license for oceans, although anyone who has one can renew it.

Yes, you are right! The original post was rather vague, and I wasn’t very specific on my replies either. Licensing can be so confusing now because the requirements seem like they are constantly changing. I can barely keep up with my own stuff. I still can’t get use to the new pass port looking licenses that they now issue! I miss the old looking ones and AB ticket ID cards that we use to have.

No, he’s asking about near coastal.

Thanks for clarifying that! It will make his upgrade a little bit easier!

Only a little. Near Coastal still requires he do all the STCW requirements.

I’m so glad that I got those STCW requirements out of the way years ago.

What are STCW requirements ?

2 Likes

It means Standards of Training, Certification and Watch-keeping! Anchor Handling Tug Supply Master you know what they mean.

Really, I’ve always wondered what those letters mean!

2 Likes

5 Likes

I’m not going to fall for that line again. Here is a bucket of Wheel Wash!

What is Wheel Wash?

2 Likes

I think he was talking about near coastal , but isn’t that in the ocean , just near the coast ,

3 Likes