Brand new and intrested in a potential career at sea! Got some questions

[QUOTE=Justbringit5x;194005]1. Do you need to go to a maritime academt to get into the industry (3rd mate to 2nd .2nd to master…and so forth)?

1. Can you workout on ships? (Lift? Run? Any equipment?)?

2. Is there wifi on ships?

3. Do you share rooms or get ur own small space on a ship?

Idk…i love the beach and ocean and sea and i also have grown to prefer to be alone for the most part.

Ill have more questions and comments im sure :)[/QUOTE]

Hey I see you are new and I can help you via PM or a phone call and answer a lot of your questions but people are going to call you out for not doing any searching but it seems like you are trying but just don’t know were to start with questions. PM me your phone and I will call and answer what I can. I worked off shore on rigs and boats for almost 8 years.

[QUOTE=Menizzi;194092]Hey I see you are new and I can help you via PM or a phone call and answer a lot of your questions but people are going to call you out for not doing any searching but it seems like you are trying but just don’t know were to start with questions. PM me your phone and I will call and answer what I can. I worked off shore on rigs and boats for almost 8 years.[/QUOTE]

Just send your bank details to this address in Nigeria.

So im still interested in this career option. I really just dont know where else to find info or get started. Of course the schools out there will tell me what i want to hear…

any info appreciated, thanks

What do you mean they’ll tell you what you want to hear? You were already told- there are very few or no jobs. Plus there are far better paying jobs out there with far less time involved to get them. Knowing all that, go to the admissions and find out what you need to do. Why would they tell you what you want to hear regarding admissions?
Nobody is going to give you respect on here or anywhere else, because you want easy answers; this is very much a go getter industry and nobody is gonna help you along the way but yourself.
Another route is working your way up from the bottom but seeing your inability to do research for yourself… yeah, what I said before.
I bet you’ve seen some cool ship videos on the internet or something and it looked cool and so you just bounced over here and thought you’ll have the answers just waiting for your eager ears. Fuck, dude, you originally posted almost a year ago and you’re back with the same shit; when I started out, in that amount of time- between the idea - and actually doing it, I had already accrued half the sea service to be one tiny little step closer to my goals but here you are, still looking for answers. That’s not gonna fly.
If you wanted it that bad, you’d already be working (or studying)

whatever you say dude…ive googled plenty of times and cant find any good info.

And a “cool ship video?” ha…thats funny. I frequent to the Jersey shore and have a waverunner and intend to get a boat one day. I love being on the water and around beach towns. Thats where my intterest is.

I dont know what it is on these forums man, no matter where u go people always gotta start shit. Why bother answering if its going to be something ignorant and not helpful Mr. Hardworking i no everything?

And just because you had the opportunity to quit your job and go get sea time doesnt mean everyone else does.

I have alot of debt and bills to pay son. I get ALOT of OT at my current job - not easy just to up and quit to start a new venture I know nothing about.

The National Maritime Center has everything you need to get started. Take the time to go through there if you’re serious about a career in the water.

http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Assistant-Commandant-for-Prevention-Policy-CG-5P/National-Maritime-Center/

How come you don’t know after a year? It’s been almost a year

Hardworking, sure, but I know far from everything. How was what I said ignorant? You’re the one ignorant and you’re still ignorant almost a year later. You clearly need to have somebody tell you what the reality is.
Interest means absolutely nothing, I have all the necessary education done along with experience and I’m just another warm body on the beach along with 100s of other guys waiting for that job call. We all got bills and mouths to feed and you coming and telling about your interest is about as pointless yet aggravating as it gets. If you wanted to, you would have done something in 10 months.
Everything is on the internet. Countless blogs, this same forum’s search feature, federal regulations with all the requirements clearly laid out, National Maritime Center with their checklists, homepages of every maritime academy in the country along with their phone numbers, private schools, programs, unions.
Why should somebody else do the work for you?

Cool.

Good luck buddy…

Thank you kind sir. I will def check out! Much appreciated…

How the fuck do you expect to get into this industry if you aren’t willing to change jobs?

1 Like