Boundary Line Question for Chief Cavo

Can you clarify the limits of an Inland License on the Texas Gulf Coast? Is it 12 miles offshore, The Demarcation Line, The Territorial Sea, or The Boundary Line? We are having quite the argument here and everyone has a differing opinion. I would like to see something in writing from NMC saying that an Inland License is good up to 12 miles offshore. I would also like to know if it is the Territorial Sea, which one? There is a Territorial Sea Line across the end of Aransas Pass Jetties and one roughly 12 miles offshore. Thanks

Great question, here is what I have found:

[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]The term “Inland Waters” refers to[/LEFT]
those waters shoreward of the [U]boundary line[/U].

[B]Title 46: Shipping
[/B]PART 7—BOUNDARY LINES
Gulf Coast

§ 7.105 Marquesas Keys, FL to Rio Grande, TX.A line drawn from Marquesas Keys, Florida at approximate position latitude 24°47.5’ N, longitude 82°11.2’ W; along the 12-mile line which marks the seaward limits of the territorial sea (as defined in 33 CFR 2.22(a)(1)) to Rio Grande, Texas at approximate position latitude 25°58.6’ N, longitude 96°55.5’ W.[USCG-2001–9044, 68 FR 42602, July 18, 2003]

It would seem as though the “boundary line” for the Gulf of Mexico is 12 miles out by CFR Title 46, part 7, 7.105. That would allow an inland licensed captain to operate up to the territorial sea limits (12 miles).

I am still not 100% on this one and welcome input from anyone with a solid understanding of the matter.
[/FONT]

That’s a great answer and I concur.

I have heard of some sort of grand coastal chart being given to people at REC Boston. Basically it’s a rough line of what denotes inland waters and is drawn from the aforementioned CFR’s.

I don’t have a copy to share unfortunately.

JCA