Bloomberg : After Irma, America Should Scrap the Jones Act

Do tell where in the world are mariners making more in USD?..Oh, here’s one

I DID read and I DO understand what you are saying. What I DON’T understand is why you are saying it.

The one or two week lifting of the Jones Act restrictions on foreign vessels due to an emergency situation is not affecting domestic capabilities in a negative way. The Jones Act does that.
If you had a capable and efficient domestic fleet, (manned by Americans by all means) you wouldn’t need to rely upon foreign ships in an emergency.

Tug and barges, or ATBs are the mainstay of the US domestic fleet because of the outdated Jones Act. If you had more flexible and up-to-date manning rules there would not be any need to pretend that a large barge, semi-permanently attached to something pretending to be a tug, (when it is actually the machinery and accommodation part of a “ship”), is as operationally safe as a complete vessel. This would not be necessary if you didn’t have an anachronistic law like the Jones Act. Coastal tanker are operating safely with small crews in other parts of the world.

I REPEAT: Other countries have Cabotage Laws that works and is updated to stay relevant to changing times. They also protect national mariners from unfair competition. Why can’t US have the same???

1 Like

You either don’t understand the Jones Act or you don’t know why tugs and ATBs are used.

Both!! Please explain.

Of course you don’t … you have no idea of what you are talking about.

I am sitting in the middle of the Florida disaster area, Fort Lauderdale. As I speak there are 3 tankers, all US flagged discharging in Port Everglades. There is no shortage of fuel, there never was … the only issue was the ability of tank trucks to reach gas stations faster than people were draining the tanks. The only problem we have now is so many gas stations do not have power to run the gas pumps.

There is absolutely no f’ing need to give FoC carriers a free pass to take a bite out of the coastwise trading laws of the US. We don’t need to employ 3rd world villagers while American taxpayers starve and lose their homes. We don’t need Norwegians to tell us we need Scandinavian technology to replace American mariners or ships.

I am beginning to understand why so many here are so disgusted with your incessant nibbling at all things American. So fuck off please.

4 Likes

Sorry about the damages and loss of lives from the Hurricane, both in Florida, Texas and not least on the Caribbean Islands. Unfortunately there are likely to be more such storms, but there and in the rest of the world.

The few weeks where the limitations on foreign ships were lifted but not much used, is not what this is about. It is about the demise of the US Maritime Industry over time. It is no skin off my nose, but it’s a pity to watch.

Having worked in the Offshore Oil and Gas Industry when American boats, rigs and personnel ruled the field world wide, then watch the decline over a period of the last 45 years, I can see what is happening to US Shipping and mariners because you refuse to adapt to new developments and a new reality .

OK, I’ll call it quits here, since it appears to upset somebody that a foreigner can have opinions other than yours.

Yes, the U.S. cabotage laws need to be updated to the advantage of the USMM. ombugge brings up many valid points. I do not understand why so many of us (U.S. Mariners) fail to see the dilemma.

2 Likes

There is no dilemma, there are American and foreign lobbyists buying favor with politicians to enable corporations to rape American mariners and the American maritime industry. Look at the cruise industry if you want an example of the type of assault that the Jones Act was intended to prevent.

We don’t allow Air Bumfukistan to fly between JFK and Orlando, there is no compelling reason to allow the maritime equivalent to displace American ships and mariners.

5 Likes

ATBs are used because they are significantly cheaper to operate. If they weren’t then companies would just build small tankers for the Jones Act trade instead of building takers split into two parts. If you remove the US build requirement then owners will just build ATBs in Korea. Luckily it’s looking like the operators are finding out that the increased fuel burned by ATBs make them less cost competitive and are starting to build tankers again.

Didn’t find pay scale for ABs on OSVs but here is the pay scale for those working on Drilling Rigs in Norway, regardless of flag and even if Ownership is American or Chinese: https://www.industrienergi.no/content/uploads/.../Wages-and-overtime-rates-2016.pdf

NOTE: Work schedule is 2 weeks on/4 weeks off and payment is continuous, not day rated.

If the US manning scale was similar to those applying for ships trading in European waters, wouldn’t the attractiveness of ATBs drop?

OK, I’ll call it quits here, since it appears to upset somebody that a foreigner can have opinions other than yours.

Må du ikke glemme hva du lovte Burgeran.

Maybe a little but manning isn’t the only (and I don’t think anywhere near the largest) cost difference between a tug and a ship.

Held og lykke

1 Like

You dont hear much about it but Indonesia have the lowest skilled and lowest paid crew.
They have cabotage laws to help prevent the local workers from finding out what the rest of the world pays.
Its protection yes, but to keep them cheap, kind of the reverse of the USA.
They have had the law for a long time but no vessels to enforce it, so most coastal trade was foreign vessels as no choice.
Its like Brazil, lets tax the crap out of everything imported to create a local industry…total failure.

How they were ever allowed to be stcw95 compliant is just unbelievable.

1 Like

India MAY do away with cabotage law, cargo preference and subsidies for Indian flag ships:

The race to the bottom continues

1 Like

It’s not easy to “nationalize” shipping by just passing laws:

There are international treaties and agreements to consider.
(Besides, you have to have the ships to carry the stuff)