Best Nautical Books for the Merchant Mariner

Yeah I’m going to “the sea shall set them free” next. I need lots of reading material for college

Are you talking about: “Until the sea shall free them”??? Its a good read.

That was a good read. Check out “looking for a ship” by John McPhee. Another book I really enjoyed. And yes definitely read “Until the sea shall free them”.

yeah that’s what I meant, just came in the mail today should start it soon. I hope it’s good. Has anyone read “dead wake- the last crossing of the Lusitania”

Is there a book on the USS Indianapolis?

I see a few with research… But which is the best?

“In harms way” i read it and it was great!

Thanks. I appreciate it!!

[U]Wicked River: The Mississippi When It Last Ran Wild[/U], by Lee Sandlin. A great read for our fellow brownwater mariners, or anyone who has any curiosity about the Mississippi. Covers the first half of the 19th century, up through the Civil War and beyond. A very fun and informative book.

Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before

True story by Tony Horwitz!

Captain Cooks last voyage followed by two middle age WAFI bro’s. Suprisingly it’s a very entertaining read. I highly recommend it.

I just ordered a new novel, Viking Raid. It is a continuation of The Shipping Man. Should get it sometime next week. . . The Shipping Man was a fantastic read and I am hoping as much for this new book.

Anyone happen to read Gentlemen of the Harbor? What’d you think?

No, but there is this seafaring classic

[QUOTE=c.captain;167851]No, but there is this seafaring classic

[/QUOTE]

The publisher got his name wrong. I thought it was Turdberger.

[QUOTE=PineappleOranges;167854]The publisher got his name wrong. I thought it was Turdberger.[/QUOTE]

actually, the correct spelling would be Florian Maximus “Flush” Turdburger

you know he came back with another op/ed, this time about Wren Thomas and the C-RETRIEVER, but this time I am not giving him any notice. It seems all the hype has energized him to write more and we can’t be having none of that.

Frankly, his latest says almost nothing other than he believes ECO is justified to fight Thomas’s claims but that they will still settle with Thomas anyway. Personally, I think ECO and Thomas are both filthy and complicit in this case. I would really like to know how much money Thomas made during this year plus in Nigeria “shaving” fuel oil?

[QUOTE=c.captain;167857]actually, the correct spelling would be Florian Maximus “Flush” Turdburger

you know he came back with another op/ed, this time about Wren Thomas and the C-RETRIEVER, but this time I am not giving him any notice. It seems all the hype has energized him to write more and we can’t be having none of that.

Frankly, his latest says almost nothing other than he believes ECO is justified to fight Thomas’s claims but that they will still settle with Thomas anyway. Personally, I think ECO and Thomas are both filthy and complicit in this case. I would really like to know how much money Thomas made during this year plus in Nigeria “shaving” fuel oil?[/QUOTE]

That article not is too bad. I wonder if Max can write without seeming like a dick?

The part about "masters overriding authoirty is bullshit. He says a captain can not be fired for refusing to sail. That’s an over simplification at best. In that case the master has to prove the trip, which was not made, was an unsafe one.

I’m trying to find a decent biography of a modern-era shipping magnate to read. My first thought was Aristotle Onassis but all the books on him are about his mistresses, not his shipping business. There’s a lot out there on Cornelius Vanderbilt but it’s all a lot more about his trains than his shipping. I’m drawing a bit of a blank on where else to look. I might try Stavros Niarchos next. Anyone got any ideas?

you want the book “The Invisible Billionaire” the biography of Daniel K. Ludwig. The man who did more damage to the US Merchant Marine than any other.

Haha thanks C.Cap, books about what not to do are useful but I was sort of hoping for a book about what TO do!

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;183323]Haha thanks C.Cap, books about what not to do are useful but I was sort of hoping for a book about what TO do![/QUOTE]

still worth reading imo