Best Marine Industrial Grade Cooler

So I “need” a new cooler for 4th and I was shopping around and found what looks to be the biggest, most bad-ass cooler ever designed:

At [B][I]$395 on Amazon[/I][/B], it’s a bit pricey but it’s a Pelican, guaranteed for life and is made in the USA. How could you go wrong?

Or am I off base? A friend has a Yeti coolerand it performs great but costs more than the pelican and looks a little too yuppie for me. I’ve also read reports online that the Coleman Xtreme performs just as well as the yeti and costs less than $100 bucks (but lacks a locking/sealed lid).

Which to choose? (Mostly it will be used on beach days and on family camping trips… but I’ll also be using it for salmon & tuna fishing offshore :cool:)

I think the Pelican is the way to go. If it is half as good as it looks it should be a great cooler. One thing that I have learned over the years is that it does not pay to go cheep when purchasing a cooler. I have a couple of older Colemen’s that are in great condition but the new one that I got last year already has broken hinges.

http://www.bayouiceboxes.com/

Good box for the price.

CURSE YOU MAN FOR BRING THE 4TH OF JULY UP TO US MARINERS STUCK OFFSHORE THIS WEEK! I’M GONNA GITCHYA FOR THAT!

I will say though that the cooler is only a vessel and the only thing that matters is what is IN it! The best parties I’ve been to the beers were all in an old Rubbermaid garbage can!

[QUOTE=coldduck;113794]http://www.bayouiceboxes.com/

Good box for the price.[/QUOTE]

These coolers look a lot like the Pelican Coolers. I just sent them a message asking them where they are made. If I get a reply I will post it here.

[QUOTE=c.captain;113795]CURSE YOU MAN FOR BRING THE 4TH OF JULY UP TO US MARINERS STUCK OFFSHORE THIS WEEK! I’M GONNA GITCHYA FOR THAT![/QUOTE]

Point taken but, considering that since stepping aboard my first ship I’ve missed a dozen independence day celebrations… I’m going to enjoy this one guilt free :wink:

Well, I got a reply back about where the Bayou Ice Boxes are made.

There was only one word in their reply - Thailand.

Take a look at Frigid Rigid coolers. They are the best (and probably the most expensive) on the market. The cooler will keep ice for 10 days. The ice will not be clumpy and slushy after 10 days. It will be the last cooler you’ll ever purchase. Made of fiberglass and fully customizable to suit your needs. The next best after that is the Yeti. Roto molded similar in construction to a kayak. Very strong and durable. The hinge is one solid stainless steel rod running the entire length of the the cooler. the Drain plugs are recessed to drain properly with gravity…no need to tip the cooler to drain. The Yeti cooler is probably a better choice for a mobile cooler vs the Frigid Rigid. The Frigid Rigid goes well if on permanent station due to its weight. No cooler on the market comes close to the Frigid Rigid on keeping ice as ice. Hope this helps.

I have a yeti which I really like. Lil up in price for sure.
Also got me a K2 cooler which seems to be just as good or better than me yeti…
Im ruff with them both and no complaints… I know K2 is less than yeti. .

[QUOTE=“terrebonne122;113836”]I have a yeti which I really like. Lil up in price for sure.
Also got me a K2 cooler which seems to be just as good or better than me yeti…
Im ruff with them both and no complaints… I know K2 is less than yeti. .[/QUOTE]

Which size do you have? Have you taken note of ice retention time in the Yeti at any certain temperatures? Down here in Florida it gets hot out on the pleasure boat. Gotta keep the beer and Rumrunners cold!

[QUOTE=“RubberRhib888;113841”]

Which size do you have? Have you taken note of ice retention time in the Yeti at any certain temperatures? Down here in Florida it gets hot out on the pleasure boat. Gotta keep the beer and Rumrunners cold![/QUOTE]

I have the 50 quart cooler from yeti… im in south louisiana and stay on water alot also in the hot summer… I know once you get the cooler a lil chill from the ice it last a good while for me… the K2 also… I haven’t really paid to much attn to the time frame but a weekend at the camp its good. …