Best Foul Weather Gear - What makes it the best?

I just paid $17 for the postage to return the Carhartt Rain Bibs and Jacket I just bought. :frowning:

I just worked with a guy that was wearing them and they looked so smooth I had to have it. The first thing I noticed before I even opened the box was how heavy they were (they weighed about 12 lbs.) I realize they gotta be heavy be to keep you warm while washing down a ship in the Bering Sea in the middle of winter but damn I already have the heaviest seabag on the ship. Iā€™m sure theyā€™re not the warmest but the quality is high and they are heavy and sturdy.

I am a big guy and I figured since Iā€™ll be layering underneath better go with the 2XL Talls. Man they were huge, way too big. The good thing is it made me feel thin (which Iā€™m notā€¦) Rather then exchanging for a smaller size I decided to go with pants instead of the bibs and the lighter weight rain gear. Iā€™ll dress warm underneath and hopefully I wonā€™t freeze next winter.

Military issue gore-tex rain gear. Its light for the summer, zip in liner for the winter, almost indestructable. Other than that the mustang suit is a must have for in alaska

When I worked in alaska I used grundenā€™s heavy duty bibs with a float coat and xtra tuff boots. They worked well, especially since grundens are wind proof so they also keep you warm. If cost is not an issue and you are not built like a fisherman (fat) then get Gul (not gill) offshore racing gear. The sallopets go up to your armpits , the jacket neck is very high, and they are built for thin people.

Gentlemen,
I found this thread because Iā€™m also looking for advice on foul weather gear. I am pressure washing drilling/fracing/piping machinery and equipment during the winter months in the northeast and, while the conditions are far worse at sea, we can agree no one likes to be cold and wet. So with that being said, could you give me advice on weather (pun) to purchase Grundens or some type of offshore racing gear.

Also, is it just me or is the Grunden website very vague on their descriptions of the different types of jackets and bibs?

The epitome of dryness is Gul offshore racing gear; but it is expensive as fuck. I would day go with grundens or guy cotton for power washing stuff. You wonā€™t feel as bad if you rip it or get it dirty.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;61237]The epitome of dryness is Gul offshore racing gear; but it is expensive as fuck. I would day go with grundens or guy cotton for power washing stuff. You wonā€™t feel as bad if you rip it or get it dirty.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Capt. Schmitt.

Do you or does anyone know the difference between the different types of Grunden bibs? Their website isnā€™t very thorough and all the descriptions sounds exactly the same. All i need is the hierarchy i.e. this one offers more protection than that one which is more protection that this one, etc. Thanks in advance!

Might also want to look into Carhartts, I believe they will be less expensive than Grundens and most have gaskets at the neck and cuffs.

I bought the Carhartts PVC about $45 for top and 49 for bibs, hot but seem to be strong. No zipper but has double flap. The hood is removable. After I get some use on emā€™ iā€™ll post again.

I have the Grundens Herkules bibs and Brigg parka. Great foul weather gear if its cold. Whatsup with this Gul foul weather gear? Its nearly impossible to find on the interwebs. Gill brand gear is everywhere, but Gul is nowhere to be found. Anyone know a good retailer in the States for it? Thanks