Benefits Available For US Merchant Mariners

What benefits are available to U.S. Merchant Mariners?

I have received a number of emails in recent weeks from U.S. mariners asking about eligibility for programs like USAA insurance, groups like the American Legion, and companies that offer discounts to U.S. Merchant Mariners. I don’t have the answer to these questions so I thought I’d ask the forum.

This thread is not meant to discuss whether or not mariners should qualify for discounts or offer tips on scamming the system (other threads, like this one, already discuss this)… I’d just like a place to recognize companies and/or organizations that [B][I]specifically[/I][/B] recognize U.S. Merchant Mariners.

[I]Example: When Steinbrenner was alive the NY Yankees allowed anyone with a z-card free admission to the stadium during the regular season. (I’m not sure if this benefit still exists… but I enjoyed many free games during my time at SUNY Maritime… thanks, I’m sure, to the fact Steinbrenner made his fortune as a shipowner).[/I]

1 Like

Inn of Long Beach has a lower rate for merchant seaman. So does the Islander Motel on PCH. I don’t know the rates, but they do offer discounts.

Merchant whats?

That’s generally the benefit I’ve seen. Unless it is a mariner run and related business, no one knows and no one cares.

How long are you in for? Can I see your military ID? You know what never mind…

I remember we got military discounts at the airlines but that stopped not to long after desert storm. This is gonna be an interesting topic.

[QUOTE=john;140333]What benefits are available to U.S. Merchant Mariners?

I have received a number of emails in recent weeks from U.S. mariners asking about eligibility for programs like USAA insurance, groups like the American Legion, and companies that offer discounts to U.S. Merchant Mariners. I don’t have the answer to these questions so I thought I’d ask the forum.

This thread is not meant to discuss whether or not mariners should qualify for discounts or offer tips on scamming the system (other threads, like this one, already discuss this)… I’d just like a place to recognize companies and/or organizations that [B][I]specifically[/I][/B] recognize U.S. Merchant Mariners.

[I]Example: When Steinbrenner was alive the NY Yankees allowed anyone with a z-card free admission to the stadium during the regular season. (I’m not sure if this benefit still exists… but I enjoyed many free games during my time at SUNY Maritime… thanks, I’m sure, to the fact Steinbrenner made his fortune as a shipowner).[/I][/QUOTE]

For USAA you must be a member or former member of the military or have a family connection.

1 Like

Ok, I did some research, and spoke with a few friends in the military… and many of the private companies that provide discounts to military online use GOVX.com to verify eligibility. I sent a request to their Press department to ask if US Merchant Mariners qualify to join there program. I’m waiting to hear back but, in the meantime, I looked over their FAQ and discovered that they have a liberal acceptance policy (Apparently I qualify for the fact I am a former EMT and Lifeguard)… so I registered as a Merchant Mariner (It’s not on the list… so I selected “Military - Other” - and submitted a copy of page 3 of my License) and was approved (all registrations have to be verified by a human).

Here’s the registration GOVX link: [B][I]http://bit.ly/1ooJYLQ[/I][/B]

I’ll update this thread when I hear back officially from GOVX’s press contact. If all is copesetic then I’ll ask them to add Merchant Marine to the list of approved organizations… if not then I’ll break out the official gCaptain letterhead and submit an appeal to their CEO :wink:

P.S. If this is true… it’s a refreshing change from the norm. I’m still not sure where I stand on whether or not mariners should qualify for discounts but I do believe that at least some of you should (i.e. those who have register for MOS and, certainly, those of you who have been awarded the Merchant Marine Expeditionary Medal).

1 Like

I had never heard of GOVX

Cool, didn’t know about that site but thanks.

The only break I ever heard of anyone getting was 10% off at Home Depot if they presented their MMC.

The lowes out by me gives me discounts on Wednesdays when I present my MMC. Only Wednesdays though. The Home Depot. Never.

I’m probably mistaken. It could have been Lowes. I never really shop there enough to think about bringing the Mao book anyway.

I always use my TWIC at the movies. Flash it and with a deep voice, I say, “military discount”. Works every time.

1 Like

^^^ glad you got your discount- maybe if you did active duty and woke up everyday knowing you couldn’t quit, wore a uniform everyday, pulled port and starboard watches for months and answered just about everyone with a salute and yes sir! you might feel different about taking advantage of a meager entitlement.

1 Like

I think he was kidding.

I would have to agree. Guys I work with insist on it but I feel a little cheap trying to use the same thing the kid on active duty next to me is using. I saw marines and navy kids go at it once in San Diego over the same thing!

I use it for discounts on hotels, movies, Home Depot, Lowes, the stores in the outlet near my house give discounts as well. I ask for the military & show them my mmd or twic.

[QUOTE=john;140345]Ok, I did some research, and spoke with a few friends in the military… and many of the private companies that provide discounts to military online use GOVX.com to verify eligibility. I sent a request to their Press department to ask if US Merchant Mariners qualify to join there program. I’m waiting to hear back but, in the meantime, I looked over their FAQ and discovered that they have a liberal acceptance policy (Apparently I qualify for the fact I am a former EMT and Lifeguard)… so I registered as a Merchant Mariner (It’s not on the list… so I selected “Military - Other” - and submitted a copy of page 3 of my License) and was approved (all registrations have to be verified by a human).

Here’s the registration GOVX link: [B][I]http://bit.ly/1ooJYLQ[/I][/B]

I’ll update this thread when I hear back officially from GOVX’s press contact. If all is copesetic then I’ll ask them to add Merchant Marine to the list of approved organizations… if not then I’ll break out the official gCaptain letterhead and submit an appeal to their CEO :wink:

P.S. If this is true… it’s a refreshing change from the norm. I’m still not sure where I stand on whether or not mariners should qualify for discounts but I do believe that at least some of you should (i.e. those who have register for MOS and, certainly, those of you who have been awarded the Merchant Marine Expeditionary Medal).[/QUOTE]

There was a time in the late 70’s we were able to use the VA services with being a Merchant Mariner our medical and dental costs were covered. If not mistaken, the much ballyhooed Ronald Reagan stopped this? I do remember going to the dentist and doctor in Morgan City on this plan with just a Z card in the late 70’s.

1 Like

[QUOTE=roundabout;140376]There was a time in the late 70’s we were able to use the VA services with being a Merchant Mariner our medical and dental costs were covered. If not mistaken, the much ballyhooed Ronald Reagan stopped this? I do remember going to the dentist and doctor in Morgan City on this plan with just a Z card in the late 70’s.[/QUOTE]

Actually, those were the Marine Hospitals that were specifically for merchant mariners. Fishermen on documented vessels could use them too.

2 Likes

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;140358]^^^ glad you got your discount- maybe if you did active duty and woke up everyday knowing you couldn’t quit, wore a uniform everyday, pulled port and starboard watches for months and answered just about everyone with a salute and yes sir! you might feel different about taking advantage of a meager entitlement.[/QUOTE]

USMC VMA-513 June 1970-1974. Thanks for asking sir.

2 Likes

Ok- should have asked if you were a ‘real’ armed forces veteran. Thanks for your service - you should get any discount you can, especially for serving during 70-74. In my opinion a TWIC or MMC doesn’t mean you served the country and get a discount . just like a Delta airline employee saying he is in the Air Force. Thanks for setting me straight.