Apprentice mate steersman test question?

I have a 100 ton inland master. I want to get my apprentice mate steersman endorsement (western rivers). I was just told that I might not have to take all the test modules on the exam since I already have a 100 ton inland. Is that true? I figured the exam was the exam and it didn’t matter what you already had. Can anyone shed a little light on this? Thanks. Bell47

You need a 200 Ton mate atleast to get an apprentice mate endorsement. I took the class. Its was 2-3 days long.

[QUOTE=“NYBoatman;116708”]You need a 200 Ton mate atleast to get an apprentice mate endorsement. I took the class. Its was 2-3 days long.[/QUOTE]

Really? You can’t get apprentice mate before you have a mate license?

I think it is something like 12 or 18 months on deck on tugs. Look it up in the CFR…

You need to have the 200 ton mate or have the certificate saying you passed the course along with 360 days on a tugboat. Then you have to be hired as an apprentice mate for 360 days to get your mate of towing and a completed toar.

If you look at the CFR’s you can actually get an apprentice steersman endorsement with a 100 ton mates license. In other words, you don’t need the 200 ton mate. The 100 ton is the lowest level license for the steersman.

After going through the steers man and 200 ton mate courses and sea time requirements I would recommend just going straight for a 500 ton mate and getting the TOAR signed off. You don’t even have to mess with the steersman for 360 days. The other catch with the steersman is if you’re sailing as a deckhand while you have your TOAR signed off make sure your company will list you as apprentice mate steersman on your sea service letter. The NMC will not give you the 360 days if you’re sea service letter says you’re AB.

Good luck!

[QUOTE=bell47;116705]I have a 100 ton inland master. I want to get my apprentice mate steersman endorsement (western rivers). I was just told that I might not have to take all the test modules on the exam since I already have a 100 ton inland. Is that true? I figured the exam was the exam and it didn’t matter what you already had. Can anyone shed a little light on this? Thanks. Bell47[/QUOTE]

You need to take the full test. But, if you have at least 3 years as master iunder your current license, you can get Mate of towing vessels by getting 30 days on a tug and completing the TOAR (expect to take longer than 30 days to finish the TOAR if you have no prior experience).

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=NYBoatman;116728]You need to have the 200 ton mate or have the certificate saying you passed the course along with 360 days on a tugboat. Then you have to be hired as an apprentice mate for 360 days to get your mate of towing and a completed toar.[/QUOTE]

You’re misinformed. Looking it up in the CFR is good advice.

I just went threw all of this shit. I know

How long are the signatures good for on a TOAR? For example, you got signatures signed off in 2004 and 2005 and you still need a couple more to complete the TOAR.

Im not sure about that… Im assuming as long as there complete.

Not sure if this appropriate for this forum but here goes. I’ve been approved to test for Mate/Pilot Near Coastal add I must take;
Q100 Rules of the road inland and international
And
341-Deck and Nav General+ safety & environmental protection.
My question is how do these modules different from the ones I’ve seen on my Master and Mate exams? Thanks in advance for any input.

That can’t be answered until you tell us what level Master and Mate the exams were for.

200 Master Near Coastal and 1600 Mate Inland.

Module 341 is an easy exam. Whenever the USCG combines what would normally be three separate topics and modules on a higher level exam, it’s going to be a simple exam.