Applying for MSC.. Former BM Navy , questions about disqualification due to

Evening people,. I have a question and hopefully someone could shed some light on this…
I’m applying for an entry level spot with the MSC to get my foot in the door and I just want to know
if there are any publications or if any one has first hand experience on joining the MSC with
a misdemeanor/due to being pulled over with more than .08 BAC in CA. Just want to know if this is disqualifying or not…
All fines are paid… All classes and seminars done… And have 7 months left of “informal” probation where i am “not” supervised nor do i have to go get checked up by cops…pretty much just have to stay out of trouble
for 3 years… No court visits or any of that… This is and was my first and only offense ever. Sorry if this is
too long but i would just like to know if i have any chance ot not…

Do you have your Merchant Mariner credential yet? That’s an important question.

Reason why I’m asking is because you have to disclose your DUI to the Coast Guard as well as to MSC

If you are on probation of any kind you will most certainly not be hired until you are off of it, regardless of whether the terms of your supervision allow you out of the country or not.

They hire people with DUI records but with yours being so recent and this being an entry level job, it’s going to be tough for you. I would suggest applying to as many different outfits as you can, in addition to them.

As a BM what kind of sea time do you have? Might be eligible for more than an entry level credential.

Thank you for your answering my question catherder. Yes i do have my MMC but it only endorses OS, wiper SU. My seatime is only 6 years non commercial and only with a navy Sub tender AS40. Kinda sucks that regardless of the type of probation i’m on finds me ineligible… I’m currently working with an attorney thats going to open up a case that will remove my probationary status due to me staying out of trouble since the day of my arrest 19APR2012 in which he says it is highly likely since it was also my first ever offense … When you say other outfits… What are you referring to? All i know is the MSC
Should I do some kind of testing to get an Ab ticket? Or should I go to a maritime school in SD?

Also to add to it, I do not have an STCW or Lifeboatman as I was told by somebody that I need this in order to qualify for AB… Going back to the dui, I should be off it soon like weeks soon, as I am working with an an attorney that is going to present my case towards a judge to Shorten my probationary status .If I do this will it they still consider me if my status is lifted or will it disqualify me… Please let me know as I am not trying to make any decisions that will make Things worse.

Do a search over the net for the Seafarers International Union or you’ll hear people refer it to the SIU. They’re not the best outfit but they’ll accept almost anyone and they have some good training from what I hear. I think they have some sort of apprentice program so you won’t make money for a while but it will get your foot in the door. If time and monies are tight check out the SUP or MFOW. They have entry level billets that come up every once in a while but still plan on sitting around the hall for a few months. Easy to do if you live on the West Coast, not so much if you live elsewhere.

Do some homework then send me a PM with any specifics.

[QUOTE=Boats;153975]Thank you for your answering my question catherder. Yes i do have my MMC but it only endorses OS, wiper SU. My seatime is only 6 years non commercial and only with a navy Sub tender AS40. Kinda sucks that regardless of the type of probation i’m on finds me ineligible… I’m currently working with an attorney thats going to open up a case that will remove my probationary status due to me staying out of trouble since the day of my arrest 19APR2012 in which he says it is highly likely since it was also my first ever offense … When you say other outfits… What are you referring to? All i know is the MSC
Should I do some kind of testing to get an Ab ticket? Or should I go to a maritime school in SD?[/QUOTE]

I got qualifying sea time on tenders. I would write to the Navy records branch in Millington, TN to order a letter of sea service. It takes a few months to get.

You have to test for AB or take an approved course plus x amount of seatime. The seatime can be qualifying military seatime, which is why you should get that letter.

By outfits I mean other companies that operate vessels like tugs, etc. You can try your luck looking for work as a deckhand and/or cook.

MFOW Electrician has a good idea for you too…the SIU union has a residential apprentice program and I hear it’s good.

Edit; are you in San Diego? Have you talked to the Sailors Union of the Pacific? They have a location in your neck of the woods, I believe in the LA area, you could drive that in a day.

thanks guys for the replies, i will definitely do my research. i’ve been looking for any deckhand positions to no avail in my area… i also have experience working as a deckhand with the army corps of engineers back in 2013 on the east coast.
thanks again for the info, i will definitely try to get that seatime service letter now that i know about it… i just not have to wait till monday to see if could setup an exam for AB as I was also a boat operator while i was active… would that qualify as lifeboatman though?

Boats, I’m not sure that you are clear on what you need to do first before you test for AB. You need to go to the NMC website and find the appropriate checklist.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/default.asp Click on Deck Ratings

Read and understand what you need to do for both the National and STCW endorsements. You can get the National endorsement alone but will be very limited in where you can work.

Gather your documents, make copies of your sea service letters from Army, any evaluations and page 4s from the Navy, and get that Statement of Creditable Sea Service from the Navy records dept. This is all a bit of a project so be prepared to be patient.

thanks for the info guys. i also found a thread here on gcaptain that pretty much shows step by step on what i might have to do to get my sea service and what i need to do as far as trying to get my qualifications reviewed… seems like so much needs to be done but i guess it has to be done! thanks again for the info

[QUOTE=Boats;153965]Evening people,. I have a question and hopefully someone could shed some light on this…
I’m applying for an entry level spot with the MSC to get my foot in the door and I just want to know
if there are any publications or if any one has first hand experience on joining the MSC with
a misdemeanor/due to being pulled over with more than .08 BAC in CA. Just want to know if this is disqualifying or not…
All fines are paid… All classes and seminars done… And have 7 months left of “informal” probation where i am “not” supervised nor do i have to go get checked up by cops…pretty much just have to stay out of trouble
for 3 years… No court visits or any of that… This is and was my first and only offense ever. Sorry if this is
too long but i would just like to know if i have any chance ot not…[/QUOTE]

Nothing is disqualifying, but you will have to do more to qualify. See 46 CFR 10.211(l):

[I]If an applicant has one or more alcohol or dangerous drug related criminal or NDR-listed convictions, if the applicant has
ever been the user of, or addicted to the use of, a dangerous drug, or if the applicant applies before the minimum assessment
period has elapsed for his or her conviction, the Coast Guard may consider the following factors, as applicable, in assessing
the applicant’s suitability to hold an MMC. This list is intended as a guide for the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard may consider
other factors appropriate to a particular applicant, such as:
(1) Proof of completion of an accredited alcohol or drug abuse rehabilitation program;
(2) Active membership in a rehabilitation or counseling group, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous;
(3) Character references from persons who can attest to the applicant’s sobriety, reliability, and suitability for employment in
the merchant marine including parole or probation officers;
(4) Steady employment; and
(5) Successful completion of all conditions of parole or probation.[/I]

thanks jdcavo, actually those were the terms under my sentencing that i had to do. I’ve actually quit drinking cold turkey for the passed year and a half, it wasn’t hard as i was not ever dependant on alcohol. just to keep myself outta trouble… asides from learning my mistake and how irresponsible i was, i stopped because my family, kid and another one on the way…
as far as those requirements though, i’ve done the AA thing and the other alcohol classes for the specified times on my sentencing , currently hold a job while being a full time student in the healthcare field and i have all documentation to prove i’ve undergone all requirements and their completion. including all fines paid as this is a requirement in the state of california.

If you have a family, and don’t drink, MSC is not for you. It was a lot of fun awhile back for someone with no strings, but I have heard that even this is now in the history books. Try you luck at some of the inland or tug and coastal barge operators where you will have a lot less scrutiny (although you will have to disclose). This will give you some time to see if it is for you as well as getting to see your family more than a month -two at best a year.

Good Luck

thanks c a otoole i’m well aware of that kind of life as i was in the navy for 10 years. i know i do not drink anymore but i do other things which are hopefully available still on some ships like going to the gym hopefully. i would like to try some more inland type tug or barge crafts as i use to work as a deck hand on some before i am also taking that into consideration and am currently looking for openings in my area for that thank you.

[QUOTE=Boats;153975]Thank you for your answering my question catherder. Yes i do have my MMC but it only endorses OS, wiper SU. My seatime is only 6 years non commercial and only with a navy Sub tender AS40. Kinda sucks that regardless of the type of probation i’m on finds me ineligible… I’m currently working with an attorney thats going to open up a case that will remove my probationary status due to me staying out of trouble since the day of my arrest 19APR2012 in which he says it is highly likely since it was also my first ever offense … When you say other outfits… What are you referring to? All i know is the MSC
Should I do some kind of testing to get an Ab ticket? Or should I go to a maritime school in SD?[/QUOTE]

Boats: Why are you still on probation from a 2012 arrest (first time in trouble) ? Keep in mind if and when you do apply to MSC, you shall disclose ALL alcohol and or drug arrests (life time) for their back-ground check and I ashore you they will check and find all priors. When you get off probation, apply to them. Disclose ALL your information they ask of you. If you have the time and cash, I would be going to a Maritime School and get your A.S. or B.S. Degree. This would put you way above the list of everyone else applying, regardless of the company… Good luck and be good :slight_smile:

2015, in california for first time offenders of BTW/DUI(never been arrested/ or been in trouble for any other reason by the way…)you normally get 3 years of INFORMAL probation where you are not assigned or need to report to anyone along with fines, classes and counseling sessions… pretty much means stay out of trouble for 3 years as well.
As far as when I did apply i did disclose my arrest and all it’s circumstances surrounding it including the arresting police and the supreme court where my sentence was carried out. prior to this i have never been in trouble or got arrested. As far as schooling, I am currently in the process of obtaining my B.S. although sometimes I contemplate on wether I should stop and go to a Maritime school… maybe one day… i’ve heard that i could go to the coast guard and obtain some kind of testing for either an AB or other quals but i havent gotten to that point yet… i wouldn’t mind starting from the bottom anyways as I am almost pretty sure that civilian Mariners operate differently and I would have to learn ya’lls ways.
2015, thanks for the reply, and i do hope all goes well so far it’s been a month and I haven’t heard anything from them… which I should probably take as a good thing… hopefully…