Any Unlimited Master of Auxiliary Sail out there?

My general question was “anybody know someone who has the Master Unlimited of Auxiliary Sail”. So far I have one name, Dan Moreland, who by the way is qualified to take a square rigger around the Horn and has I believe.

1 Like

A few years ago there was an article about him and it mentioned his license and said only 11 (iirc) people alive held that license.

I’m still not sure why you need this information. 1) the requirements to get it are spelled it clearly in the CFR, and 2) the requirements could have changed since they got their license. The “how” is easy, they worked on foreign flag square riggers or the USCGC Eagle. Asking them which boats is also pointless as several of the ones that you used to be able to work on no longer accept foreigners.

Dan Moreland is a real square rigger master. I had forgotten that he is a US Citizen.

He has sailed his PICTON CASTLE, 284 GT, and registered in the Cook Islands as a yacht, on seven round the world sail training voyages in the past 20 years. The PICTON CASTLE is based in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada. He runs a fantastic international sail training program. His substantial prior experience includes sailing as bosun on DAMARK, the Danish square rigged school ship.

Just checked the OHP web site, and Dave Dawes’ name is no longer listed as captain. I know they had been advertising for a relief captain, so perhaps he is taking a break. He had been on the vessel since it came out of the yard, I believe, in 2016. The OHP is just under 500 ITC. Spent some time on it last winter as a volunteer.

Richard8000milesaway, is a forum member and holds an Unlimited Master of Steam,Motor,and Sail.

I just re-read the whole thread, I thought I had already mentioned him. @richard8000milesaway

he hasn’t been active on here in a while

If you did, I missed it, sorry man.

I couldn’t find the past I thought I’d made so you didn’t miss it.

Actually this is of new interest to me as well. I was going to apply for a teaching position at USC, but they want a sailing endorsement on the license, which I don’t have. It’s mostly for the Navy Program they have, so they have a couple decent sized (not unlimited) sailing vessels.

So if you have plenty of sea time as an unlimited second mate, do you still need a full 180 days under sail to sit for the exam?

I think it’s 180 days for mate and 360 for master. The good news is I remember the test being a giveaway.

1 Like

I sailed with Dan on the Phoenix. It was an Irish brigantine. I was a cadet, he was mate then.

Apparently I missed it too but here it is:

I’m still trying to figure out how you come to that number because as far as I can tell it’s completely false.

You are correct. I was wrong.

50 years ago, when I got my first license, an Inland powerboat license required 360 days and a sailboat license required 360 days, but an aux sail license required 540 days. An ocean license required 720, but aux sail was 1080. Things have changed.

Wow, that was stupid. I wonder if there was a reason or if it was a result of regulation drift.

Was the same in 1980. I needed 540 days and my first license was an inspected license as “Operator, Auxiliary Sailing Vessels, 25-Tons, Inland”. And all of my 540 days was on private auxiliary sailing vessels, fully documented with complete log entries.

I was surprised to see that now, apparently someone with a power only license can add aux sail with just 180 days of sail time.