Any Tankermen on this Forum?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0jecc3drbkoswl/IMG_7904.JPG?dl=0

If you have ever worked on a tanker or tank barge you should recognize this style of cap. The fine looking mutt modeling this “chapeau” is named TANK, know affectionately to those closest to him as TANKER!

This particular type of cap has been around for decades, has a name and until recently was manufactured in the same town (they recently moved to another town nearby). So Tankermen of this forum: What is the name of the cap and where was it made? For extra credit what is the material from which the cap is made? Sea stories regarding these caps are encouraged.

A Tankerman or a Pumpman? Now there’s a breed apart (and long gone now?).

That’s what you use on your hand when you try to open a tank heater steam trap isolation valve and you dont have any gloves handy. Or maybe it was what you used to wipe off the dipstick on the cargo pump RG oil sump.

Cant wait to find out the answers though.

By Tankerman I meant anyone who typically worked on tankers, tank barges or anything that carried liquid cargo in bulk. I have seen these caps worn by everyone aboard from the Master and Chief Engineer down to the messman (talk about a long gone rating!) And now that you mention it, they were handy when opening a hot steam valve when you had forgotten your gloves.

they are landary caps they are made in port arthur tx and out of scrap materail. alot of weilders wore them turned backwards under the hood soak up the sweat

sailed pumpman for 40yrs mostly nmu they are landary caps made in port arthur tx. out of scrap materail. weilders wore them backwards under there hood to soak up the sweat

[QUOTE=Seago;183960]By Tankerman I meant anyone who typically worked on tankers, tank barges or anything that carried liquid cargo in bulk. I have seen these caps worn by everyone aboard from the Master and Chief Engineer down to the messman (talk about a long gone rating!) And now that you mention it, they were handy when opening a hot steam valve when you had forgotten your gloves.[/QUOTE]
sailed pumpman for 40 years they are landray caps made in port arthur tx. out of scrap material. weilders wore them backwards under ther hoods soaked up the sweat

[QUOTE=ceramit;183975]sailed pumpman for 40 years they are landray caps made in port arthur tx. out of scrap material. weilders wore them backwards under ther hoods soaked up the sweat[/QUOTE]

The hats welders wear under their helmets (now) are typically flame retardant and even if they are not they are to protect your hair and/or scalp from sparks or slag. Catching sweat may be a nice dude benefit though…

Yeah, it is a southern/Gulf Coast thing. My first 6 ships were on the West Coast. First time I saw anyone wear these hats was on the LESLIE LYKES, an old Pacer class ship that Lykes transferred to the West Coast when they took over the old States Lines break bulk routes. This question has come up before and I believe that it was this forum. Not sure that they were exclusive to tankermen or pumpmen. . . .Welders? You bet! Found this with a quick Google. . . http://www.usabe.com/landry/

Under your hard hat, no less

[QUOTE=cmakin;184006]Yeah, it is a southern/Gulf Coast thing… [/QUOTE]

I sailed tankers on the west coast for 10 years and only saw them on shipyard welders.

[QUOTE=cmakin;184006]Yeah, it is a southern/Gulf Coast thing. My first 6 ships were on the West Coast. First time I saw anyone wear these hats was on the LESLIE LYKES, an old Pacer class ship that Lykes transferred to the West Coast when they took over the old States Lines break bulk routes. This question has come up before and I believe that it was this forum. Not sure that they were exclusive to tankermen or pumpmen. . . .Welders? You bet! Found this with a quick Google. . . http://www.usabe.com/landry/[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if mine are Landry or not but we used them welding all the way up in Maine.