Any Coasties requesting the T.O.S.S. report?

I request mine a while back and haven’t got mine yet. It says it can take up to 90 days. Is that realistic?

Thanks

[QUOTE=“CGtug;122375”]I request mine a while back and haven’t got mine yet. It says it can take up to 90 days. Is that realistic?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Check the PERSMAN or whatever it is called now. There is a certain amount of time they have to get it to u. It should not take 90 days.

I have requested mine three separate times, and each one only took 1-3 days, at most, e-mailed to me. I used the TOSS website, provided the basic information and got it quite quickly. Although, I was still active duty when I requested.

Thanks Senior.

Thanks Scallywag. Im still active right now. Just planning for the future when I get out next year trying to get my Able Seaman and shoot for Tug Captain in the future.

What license r u looking to get Tug?

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;122407]What license r u looking to get Tug?[/QUOTE]

Im trying to get my Able Seaman to start working and getting experience. My goal is Tug Captain Unlimited. Im getting out here in like 1 year and gonna try to get hired by Crowley for the San Juan / Jax route to get time and training Senior.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Scallywag;122384]I have requested mine three separate times, and each one only took 1-3 days, at most, e-mailed to me. I used the TOSS website, provided the basic information and got it quite quickly. Although, I was still active duty when I requested.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Scallywag. im still active right now. getting ready for the transition with time.

If u r going tugs, 1600 Master should be enough. Make SURE u get the GMDSS license and ge told ur Master of towing before u get out.

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;122410]If u r going tugs, 1600 Master should be enough. Make SURE u get the GMDSS license and ge told ur Master of towing before u get out.[/QUOTE]

i will get my GMDSS no problem but for the Master of towing im running short on this.

1440 days of service, OF WHICH:
540 days must be on towing vessels as Mate (Pilot), AND
360 days not as a Harbor Assist/Limited route, AND
90 days must be on a particular route.

since i only been in CG cutters as a BM2 and not as a Mate. no harbor assist or the particular route. but this is definitely something i will add to my to do list. Thanks Senior for all the info.

CG Tug why do you want to get on that Crowley run? You won’t learn anything other then how to do paperwork. There are plenty of other places to find work that pay more & you can learn more.

[QUOTE=Tugted;122435]CG Tug why do you want to get on that Crowley run? You won’t learn anything other then how to do paperwork. There are plenty of other places to find work that pay more & you can learn more.[/QUOTE]

Well the reason is that I have a family member that is in crowley and he told me is a great place. (Very different from what I read here) and I have a family and this transition getting out of the military is a lil scary and he is giving me the job security feeling. But if anyone has better ideas for me to consider, please send them my way. Thanks you

To work as tug boat captain you are going to need a Masters of Towing. There is several ways to get that MOT, depends on your license, and the other way is to take a course named http://www.mptusa.com/course/121-Apprentice-Mate-Steersman-of-Towing-Vessels Basically you can have an astronauts license and if you dont have a completed TOAR and certain amounts of days working in tugs you cant operate legally tugs.

[QUOTE=0rion;122442]To work as tug boat captain you are going to need a Masters of Towing. There is several ways to get that MOT, depends on your license, and the other way is to take a course named http://www.mptusa.com/course/121-Apprentice-Mate-Steersman-of-Towing-Vessels Basically you can have an astronauts license and if you dont have a completed TOAR and certain amounts of days working in tugs you cant operate legally tugs.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Orion! That is my plan. But, my sea time right now is not in a tug boat and because i concentrated my Coast Guard career to the Law Enforcement side, i will need some experience before being eligible for a Master of Towing endorsement.

200 tons master gets you a mate of towing (completed TOAR) 500 and 1600 a Master of Towing with a a TOAR and 30 days on a tug.

If you dont get any if the metioned license after finishing the CG youre best bet would be to take the course I linked and also get youre 200 tons with that same course.

[QUOTE=0rion;122446]200 tons master gets you a mate of towing (completed TOAR) 500 and 1600 a Master of Towing with a a TOAR and 30 days on a tug.

If you dont get any if the metioned license after finishing the CG youre best bet would be to take the course I linked and also get youre 200 tons with that same course.[/QUOTE]

I was just looking at the website. Im thinking, maybe my best option will be to go to the school out of pocket while active duty. i can take 2 weeks of leave and head to FL and go to the school. thanks for all the good info.

MPT is not the only option out there. Check around and see what works for you.

[QUOTE=0rion;122448]MPT is not the only option out there. Check around and see what works for you.[/QUOTE]

what is ur guys opinion on online courses vs actually going to the school?

Depends on the course and what u want to get out of it. Stuff I already know and don’t have time to take time off for, I go online because I don’t take courses just to pass a test… Otherwise, I take a course which is also a good time to network.

If u got a way into Crowley, take it.

[QUOTE=CGtug;122375]I request mine a while back and haven’t got mine yet. It says it can take up to 90 days. Is that realistic?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

If you are active duty and actually getting it from the Coast Guard you will get it much quicker than that. If you are going through the National Records Center, my experience are that they are faster, but that is what the tell everyone. However with the government shutdown, you can anticipate nothing being done on it.

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;122453]Depends on the course and what u want to get out of it. Stuff I already know and don’t have time to take time off for, I go online because I don’t take courses just to pass a test… Otherwise, I take a course which is also a good time to network.

If u got a way into Crowley, take it.[/QUOTE]

Most likely is in my #1 spot on the list follow by Mcallister in NY or PR. But again, im not expecting to choose what i want or prefer with no experience in a tugboat and being the new guy in this world.

Apprentice Mate Steersman is the course in MPT i was looking at. Is a 3.5 weeks long and include the 100 ton, 200 ton and apprentice mate steersman or the mate pilot of towing or the master of towing licenses. i send a email to the school to check for the prerequisites to attend the course. If I qualify for it, i will take it to be one step ahead towards my goal at the end of the road.

Btw Crowley won’t take you as a mate until you’ve got a 1600t Mate Oceans. They are desperate for people cause it’s a crappy job. Mates there don’t handle the boat unless you’ve got previous experience. AB jobs there aren’t great cause you do very little deck work & it also requires little skill.