Another subtle attack on Jones Act?

[QUOTE=cajaya;181988]I would support it if it also stated that all the positions would go only to people residing and paying taxes in the U.S. and that the workers for these positions would be equally considered regardless of gender, race, region, orientation, academy grad status etc,[/QUOTE]

Well, the law in question would require all of that, yet you don’t give a shit.

[QUOTE=cajaya;181984]a few priveldeged academy grads[/QUOTE]

I’m not surprised you’ve been run off a number of ships with an attitude like that.

The academies have rather low entrance standards and it’s actually easier for poor people to afford college than the middle class so what’s your excuse for not going? Drop your petty fucking grudge already.

The problem is simple: the evil white male.

cajaya…I must point out to you that EVERY single thread you contribute to becomes a SHIT FIGHT of you against the world. This is divisive and degrades the discourse in this forum. I for one, do not appreciate this one bit and ask that you attempt to be less combative here for all our sakes.

thank you for your forbearance

now, I ask all others to please cease goading the “lady” on any further. Ignoring her diatribes is the best way to make her stop this endless feces flying warfare. I know it is hard to not lob a few poop filled shells her way but try to hold your fire…please?

Why not ignore her through forum settings like a rational person?

At the least stop quoting her so I don’t have to see it.

[QUOTE=z-drive;182016]Why not ignore her through forum settings like a rational person?

At the least stop quoting her so I don’t have to see it.[/QUOTE]

you know as well as I that doesn’t work

[QUOTE=catherder;181990]Wait till you hit 50 plus there Cajaya…there’s a saying, old age ain’t fer cowards. There’s a reason for that.

Now, instead of talking about that all-night party at the club, we talk about grandkids, arthritis remedies and knee replacements. Fortunately, the industry still somewhat values experience- but they expect it to be packaged in a youthful shell, lol.[/QUOTE]

Yea, you are right. I should have included age. That is why I am glad we have a semi great government, even with all its flaws that actually has laws about these things. There is a country in Africa that forces people to retire at 60. They don’t care if you have saved up for retirement or not or what your financial situation is, after 60, you can’t work, period. I think lebanon might be that way too.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;181992]Well, the law in question would require all of that, yet you don’t give a shit.
[/QUOTE]
I’ll beleive it when I see it

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;181992]

I’m not surprised you’ve been run off a number of ships with an attitude like that.[/QUOTE]
I have never been run off of a ship. On mudboats (which aren’t ships), at the company I worked at anyway, mysogny, workplace hositily, sexual harrassment and quid pro quo are normal and accepatable things and women that don’t go along or that say anything aren’t welcome.

I have come to find out that that company already has a reputation for that within the industry, and that many women wont even apply to work there in the first place after what they have heard or after their experiences with sexist remarks by recruiters that come by the academies. I think they are able to keep their “numbers” up by hiring women as cooks who don’t know any better about what is supposed to be acceptable and what isn’t supposed to be

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;181992]
The academies have rather low entrance standards and it’s actually easier for poor people to afford college than the middle class so what’s your excuse for not going[/QUOTE]

Well, I spent some time at an Academy. Almost everyone knew how to ski or snowboard already. Poorer or lower middles class families’ kids dont earn how to ski, that is a wasteful way to spend money because one small thing like a car break down can cause financial havoc and cause them not to be able to pay rent. Also, everyone’s parent’s sent them money, bought them a car outright, and most of them were kids of very wealthy people. Financial aid, doest cover the cost of training cruise or living expenses. I would say 90% of the kids I went to school with were priveldged. They may have not known it themselves, but they were. In short, priveldged kids go to Academies and come out and get the better paying jobs, the other ones go up the hawsepipe and get whats leftover. Now, if they are a guy, and aren’t too much into the fancy learning stuff, they can go work on a mudboat and do quite well.

[QUOTE=c.captain;182012]cajaya…I must point out to you that EVERY single thread you contribute to becomes a SHIT FIGHT of you against the world. [/QUOTE]

Hey, I didn’t cast the first stone, you are gonna have to talk to Tugs about that…

[QUOTE=johnny.dollar;182000]The problem is simple: the evil white male.[/QUOTE]

No, its the good 'ole boy southerner, and the elitist kings point graduate.
I wouldn’t put them all in one box like that.

[QUOTE=c.captain;182017]you know as well as I that doesn’t work[/QUOTE]

Why not? adjust it to ignore her posts. works well for me, maybe i’m doing something wrong?

[QUOTE=z-drive;182022]Why not? adjust it to ignore her posts. works well for me, maybe i’m doing something wrong?[/QUOTE]

Works for me too. I make it a point to sign in, because obviously if you come here without signing in you can see everything.
I enjoy this forum too much to allow myself to get sucked in again. :cool:

[QUOTE=z-drive;182022]Why not? adjust it to ignore her posts. works well for me, maybe i’m doing something wrong?[/QUOTE]

because even if you set preferences to ignore cajaya’s posts you still want see that she posted and I challenge anyone to say that they don’t go to read what she wrote just like wanting to see the bodies and blood in a massive trainwreck…it’s simple human nature

it is also too obvious that “the lady” is utterly obtuse to the feelings of the overwhelming majority here, that we don’t like her or her posts

please, for the love of all that is Holy, nobody reply directly to any post of her’s nor quote any single word she writes. It is the only way. Speak about her if you must but NEVER speak to her. Eventually she will suffocate from the lack of attention.

A mud boat is most certainly a ship. How is it not?

Are we basing this on size?

If so is this not a ship?

Or this one?

What about this one?

Is it because the crew isn’t Union? They definitely have a master, chief mate, chief engineer, and 1 A/E. That’s a ships crew as far as I know.

They are bound by the same IMO, SOLAS, ABS and USCG rules as any other vessel of 3000 itc.

I don’t get what all the fuss is about… I’m a PROUD woman and I’ve never been offended by a single gender-related thing on here. Offense is what you make it. If you’re looking to be a victim then you’re going to be offended a lot. If you’re comfortable in your own skin, like me, then the word congressman wouldn’t bother you. I choose not to feel oppressed by men and so I am not oppressed by men. There ends the lesson.

Girl power!!!

I think you missunderstand. The word “congressman” doesnt offend me. Mine was referred to specifically, and mine specifically doesnt call herself a congressman.

Well Missy, you ovbiosuly havent worked as a QMED for ________ offshore for 2.5 years.
You might want to try it out and see how that works out for you

Well, mostly the mentality and culture of people on ships is different. I also judge it by amount of breathability and free space it feels like it has. OSV’s there’s really no place to go without being bothered by someone. What, there is the one lounge? The little area on he back of the house where every one is? And often time shared rooms so you cant even find solace if your roommate decides that they need to get something from in there every 5 minutes. On a ship you can go to the stern, you can hang out sort of midships on one of the sides, you can take your helmet off and walk around, maybe even go to the gym without ever being bothered by and run into hardly anybody.

There was no setup such as that where I worked, it often times seemed like there was 8 captains and 8 chief engineers.

I’ve been roughing it out here a hell of a lot longer than you have, buck up buttercup.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;182038]I’ve been roughing it out here a hell of a lot longer than you have, buck up buttercup.[/QUOTE]

Here we go, another white privledged academy grad trying to compare her herself to a hawsepiper. Just love it

[QUOTE=cajaya;182040]Here we go, another white privledged academy grad[/QUOTE]

Here we go again with your disgruntled BS. You have experience with one school (probably Cal by the sounds of it) and you can generalize about all of them? I love how everyone who disagrees with you is automatically either mud boat bayou scum or privileged. It keeps you from having to admit when you’re wrong if you can dismiss others as being “the man” who’s keeping you down. (By the way, academy grads are the ones discriminated against in the bayou, not hawsepipers.)

Cajaya,
Wow, now all white people should feel guilty too. I was feeling conspicuous enough just being conventional. At least you and I do have one thing in common though.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;182042]Here we go again with your disgruntled BS. You have experience with one school (probably Cal by the sounds of it) and you can generalize about all of them? I love how everyone who disagrees with you is automatically either mud boat bayou scum or privileged. It keeps you from having to admit when you’re wrong if you can dismiss others as being “the man” who’s keeping you down. (By the way, academy grads are the ones discriminated against in the bayou, not hawsepipers.)[/QUOTE]

academy grads go in with their position, they dont have to fight tooth and nail and have people undermine them at every turn by saying that they are “qualified” or their not “ready”, they go in qualified already so it is a moot point. I did know a haswepiper mate that went to the GoM with credentials in hand already so it was sort of the same thing. No one ever tried to touch her or any B.S. like that because she was already an officer with a position

what is a lowly qmed going to do about it? the office doesnt gve a f^^# about or listen to qmeds

I happen to be of central-American descent and worked in the industry longggggggg before I ever stepped on school grounds. What’s next?

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;182048]I happen to be of central-American descent and worked in the industry longggggggg before I ever stepped on school grounds. What’s next?[/QUOTE]Yea, I’m sure all 1/12th of you is from central america and that you have a hispanic last name to go with it.

I also sure that tall ships are very similar to OSV’s. I’m sure its 100% the same.

Trade in your sextant for a wrench…then we’ll talk

I wish you would help me understand where you’re getting all this information from. You should ask for your money back.