Another Military Sealift Command thread

lol if only it was that simple

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Just basic questions about you seagoing experience and past work history. Pretty basic stuff.

ok thank you.

Hey all

Just read through this thread…very interesting. I spent a year at a Maritime Academy and transferred to join the Army (weird I know). Went to college, ROTC Scholarship, got commissioned, etc. Long, LONG, story short…I am leaving the military within the next 8 months, getting out of the National Guard as an O-3 Captain. Multiple tours to Iraq and Afghanistan. Current Federal Employee within Department of Homeland Security (basically a radio dispatcher for customs and border protection) but want to go back to where I started this journey and re-enter the maritime industry. I recently turned 30 and see this as my opportunity to switch gears into my permanent career. I would like it to be with MSC.

My background as an Army Officer is in communications and electronic warfare. I may slide in as a radio tech quite easily, but am up for anything. Seems like the radio tech thing is exactly what I did…dealing with COMSEC, radios, automations, anything that plugs in. I recently applied to the Chief radio tech position (not really thinking I will get it but just to see the application process white waiting for a lesser position within commo although technically I WAS a chief in the Army, since I was the Battalion communications manager for 800+ and advisor to the commander).

I hope my non traditional background does not trip me up. I just want back into the maritime world and am willing to work and move up. But my military background is as a commissioned officer, my work experience is as a GS9 federal employee, and I have a college degree. Or on the other hand, will these just serve as added benefits to my application?

Just wondering how to BEST highlight my past experiences. I see my background as wonderful for nearly any employer, but I need to avoid and/or explain this dramatic shift in gears. I hope it does not “scare” MSC to see an O-3 apply to a position that may be looking at E-3 background. Does anyone have any insight into this aspect? I have my MMC, TWIC, Passport, STCW BST.

Maybe the best way to ask my question, since I may have not been clear…I have a lot MSC is already looking for. Military background, security clearance, federal employment history, and all my documents/paperwork in order. How should I avoid being painted into a corner as overqualified (not in maritime experience obviously, but in other aspects)

Cheers!

Gman-

My best advice to you would be to take some time and get a Graduate Degree with a license from one of the Academies. A lot of the schools offer this. Doing coms with MSC will probably require you to get your GMDSS Radio Operator’s license anyway which you probably lack. If you went back to grad school, with your background and existing commission, they’d probably even offer you a student teaching position or something like that. You’d come out with your unlimited license and probably an offer from MSC since it’s what you want so bad.

Gman, please stop over-thinking this. Peter Long was a fucking Admiral and joined MSC as a Steward.

That’s right, he washed dishes and served at meal times. Last time I saw him (2012) he was Master of USNS Grasp. I am not shining sunshine up his skirt, he was not fun to work for, never smiled and I was happy to see the last of him just before I cleared the gangway for the last time.

So, the door is wide open for you at MSC however you want to walk through it.

Gman, please stop over-thinking this.

The door is wide open for you at MSC, or any other company, however you want to walk through it.

[quote=li_domer;146901]gman-

my best advice to you would be to take some time and get a graduate degree with a license from one of the academies. A lot of the schools offer this. Doing coms with msc will probably require you to get your gmdss radio operator’s license anyway which you probably lack. If you went back to grad school, with your background and existing commission, they’d probably even offer you a student teaching position or something like that. You’d come out with your unlimited license and probably an offer from msc since it’s what you want so bad.[/quote]

that is damn good advice !!!

I was checking the status and it is now saying awaiting command decision. Anyone know what this possibly means. I have not received any emails or phone calls. Thanks for any help

Wes when did you submit your application? Hope your interview went well. I submitted my application back on August 18th. My status still shows as forwarded so hopefully I’ll get a call soon. My application was forwarded on September 15th. I’m not sure how long they take to call people back that have not received a denial letter.

2 Likes

thank you. I submitted mines on August 19th. If you haven’t gotten a denial email yet you’re still in good hands.

MSC used to post what was opening soon. No longer see that. Does anyone have any intel on what may be opening soon and more or less when? Which way is the wind blowing within MSC?

[QUOTE=thatboywes;146969]thank you. I submitted mines on August 19th. If you haven’t gotten a denial email yet you’re still in good hands.[/QUOTE]

I was told during my interview that I would be notified within 30 days if selected or not for employment.

I was told the same. What position you interview for?

Expect a little bit longer. It was around 5-6 weeks for me.

ok. Long process but I guess it’s worth it.

My application Status has changed to “Awaiting Command Decision” any insight on what this could mean for me? Thank you

[QUOTE=thatboywes;147013]ok. Long process but I guess it’s worth it.[/QUOTE]

Definitely going to be a long process. I haven’t even received a call yet. My application still says under review for suitability.

if everything goes good with the suitability stage you should be getting a call for a interview right after.