Another Military Sealift Command thread

Any updates?

I start NEO on the 23rd.

[QUOTE=thatboywes;153535]I start NEO on the 23rd.[/QUOTE]

May I ask when you did your physical?

I did my psychical December 9th but I had a few hurdles so I had to get an extension on the pre hire process plus I had a minor medical issue that I had to get my doc to sign off on so everything took a little longer for me. Monday I was finally found fit for hire & yesterday I received the call to report to NEO. They wanted me to start on Monday but I told them I wanted to give my Job at least a two weeks notice & they had no problem with that & scheduled me for the 23rd.

Their online application process is odd.

I submitted documents a few months ago and one was rejected because it was illegible. I was also missing another document that I finally obtained a copy of this month. Meanwhile, they cancelled my original application while I was at sea. I have uploaded the new documents, and attempted to re-apply for a position but the website will not save my KSAs, and keeps sending me back to the KSA page.

Iā€™ll have to drop them an email and ask them what the issue is.

[QUOTE=catherder;153681]Their online application process is odd. I submitted documents a few months ago and one was rejected because it was illegible. I was also missing another document that I finally obtained a copy of this month. Meanwhile, they cancelled my original application while I was at sea. I have uploaded the new documents, and attempted to re-apply for a position but the website will not save my KSAs, and keeps sending me back to the KSA page. Iā€™ll have to drop them an email and ask them what the issue is.[/QUOTE].

I just got done with my interview good luck

Hey ROD96,

How long, after your application was ā€œunder reviewā€, did it take for MSC to contact you? Was the first phone call the actual interview or was it to set up an interview time at a later date?

Thanks. . .

I did my physical on Dec 23rd and was found not fit for hire on Jan 21st because of my cholesterol being 5 points to high they sent me paperwork to take to my private Dr to check me out to make sure I was fit for sea duty. I completed that This past Friday and waiting to see what MSC says. Hopefully I get my ticket to be hired. My private Dr was amazed they wouldnā€™t hire me because of that. He rechecked and I am good to go.

I too had a couple issues to have my PCP sign off on. 2 just needed test results that I tried to give their Dr. at the physical, but he said hold on to them, theyā€™ll ask for it. And they did. We attached the results to their queries, and my Dr. wrote out a statement on the last issue, and 3 days after emailing it all in, I got a call to set a date for NEO. The ladies at MSC were real helpful and sent my Dr. the lab work so he could verify everything was A OK, so we wouldnā€™t need to do that again. Maybe Iā€™ll see you at NEO.

[QUOTE=samat3;154880]ā€¦I got a call to set a date for NEO. The ladies at MSC were real helpful and sent my Dr. the lab work so he could verify everything was A OK, so we wouldnā€™t need to do that again. Maybe Iā€™ll see you at NEO.[/QUOTE]

samat3, how soon is your NEO?

If anyone is still looking for immediate results from CIVMAR please be patient a little longer. I just called this morning. Everything is delayed, especially documents and communications to and from the West Coast. They have been closed for the past few days due to the freezing weather.

Makes me feel a little guilty with the scent of Suntan lotion circulating throughout this Southern California Office.

Xavier6162,

Thanks for the update. . .Iā€™m expecting ā€œthe callā€ any day now. My status is under review. Once again, thank you for your update, as well as others, and congratulations. My uncle is with MSC and he loves it. One week in Dubai, the next week Abu Dhabi, and then Australia. Most def trying to get out there as soon as possible and fully invest myself into a maritime career. Can you feel us in and how the call went with as much detail as possible?!?!?

[QUOTE=Wrench;154915]samat3, how soon is your NEO?[/QUOTE]

They called on Friday the 13th. and asked if I could report on the 23rd. I asked to start later to get projects finished with my current employer, and they had no problem with that. I start March 9th.
I also live locally, so no S&Q and have to fight the tunnel traffic each day.

Question for all those who say ā€œask to go west coastā€. What is the benefit of west coast? All of my family is in the Norfolk area, and I hope to get a ship thatā€™s here once in awhile. That way I may get to see them without having to take vacation and change ships. Convince me west coast would trump east coast.

Samat3,

In your situation, I would say East Coast is a better take for you. 99% of new hires start on the east coast. Whats so good about the west coast?! THE MONEY! Will you still make money on the east coast? of course you will, with overtime. My uncle lives here in Florida, but put in a request to go to the west coast as soon as he could. He says better crews, vessels, and ammo ships, which contributes to more pay. Until someone else responds with more accuracy, thatā€™s the only reasons that have been pointed out to me.

I donā€™t know what the deal is with the West Coastā€¦besides the girls and weather, but why would they put someone whoā€™s home and family is within commuting distance of San Diego in Norfolk? All the MSC personnel Iā€™ve ever met on the West Coast had homes on the West Coast prior to employment. But that could have been a coincident. I also think there is more work and ships on the East.

[QUOTE=jlspitler;154866]I did my physical on Dec 23rd and was found not fit for hire on Jan 21st because of my cholesterol being 5 points.[/QUOTE]

What is the limit for cholesterol?

That would depend on the measurement they (MSC) were using and which cholesterol (total, Ratio, LDL, HDL, Triglycerides) and where their acceptable borderline was set.

If it is LDL readings and 5 points over borderline high (such as LDL at 189 mg/dL + 5 mg/dL = 194 mg/dL), it is way too high.

If it is Total cholesterol readings and 5 points over borderline high (such as 239 mg/dL + 5 mg/dL = 244 mg/dL), it is way too high.

If it is HDL readings and 5 points over borderline high ( 44 mg/dL - 5 mg/dL = 39 mg/dL), it is now at a very high risk.

Either way, calculated against normal readings, those 5 points over borderline high triples your chance of a heart attack or stroke.

The same would follow for sugar level readings. Where 5 points can take you from pre-diabetes (keep an eye on your sugar levels ā€“ loss weight, exercise more and eat right to reverse the issue) to being a bon-a-fide Diabetic.

[QUOTE=WiiFit4This;154713]Hey ROD96,

How long, after your application was ā€œunder reviewā€, did it take for MSC to contact you? Was the first phone call the actual interview or was it to set up an interview time at a later date?

Thanks. . .[/QUOTE]

1 week is all it took

[QUOTE=ROD96;155179]1 week is all it took[/QUOTE]

The call is the only interview then you should hear from them about a week later flooding your email adress with loads of info and things that needs to b completed like the eqip gathering documents applying for the brown passport shot records ect.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;155018]What is the limit for cholesterol?[/QUOTE]

Ok I got the actual test back here is what mine says. My PCP was still shocked they actually had to send me to him. he rechecked everything and I am good to go. Just wait to hear from MSC.

Cholesterol 179 mg/dl (125-200)
Triglyceride 202 mg/dl (<150)
HDL Cholesterol 30 mg/dl (>or = 46)
LDL Cholesrol 109 mg/dl (<130)