An Open Letter to Edison Chouest Offshore and Gary Chouest

He mentioned hoping to get paid at least $350 a day, even time, at another job and said that would still be a significant raise.

Also, if you’re signed in as an AB you’re not doing “AB work as an officer”, your an AB. Having a license doesn’t make you an officer, sailing as an officer makes you an officer.

Friend of mine works for ECO, been there for quite awhile, works even time, 28/28 and still makes 120k a year, his wife is happy that he’s home more and they can still pay the bills. He told me that the boats with contracts keep their pay while un-contracted boats that are warm stacked have reduced pay, since the downturn, he only lost $125 a day and retained his seniority pay. Wish I could say the same.

It’s mostly because everyone knew the other companies will fuck you in a heartbeat but most people drank the Kool aid of “Chouest doesn’t do layoffs” so thought they were different somehow.

(I had at least one person tell me they weren’t going to bother upgrade from an OSV only license. When I mentioned he might want to be more marketable in case he ever gets laid off he replied “Chouest doesn’t do layoffs”…)

Not defending ECO or any other OSV company, but, taking cold stacked boats out and tying them up in Fourchon and calling them warm stacked boats to keep people working is a good thing, could have easily let them stay stacked and lay off more people.

doing that ain’t to keep some of their people working but to protect the asset…cold stacking leads to boats that are too costly to try to reactivate in the future. bet, they have one crew handling half a dozen vessels trying to keep them immediately ready to go back into operation

When my vessel was stacked, I did AB work and got paid as an officer. I also did q med work and was paid the same as an officer on warm stack rates.

When vessels are warm stacked they get pay cuts that fall in between Officer and AB. It is a reduced rate of pay. And every vessel warm stacked has 2 or 3 persons on them making this rate.

When a vessel is cold stacked then there is no one on it.

Correct and for an entire year, Chouest did not when everyone else did

True, that may have been the case, but, it keeps 3 or 4 guys working that would have been let go

Being “paid as an officer” is different than being one (I’m being picky about wording, I know). It’s cool that they kept you working at mostly full pay.

“Youd better hope to hell you are not transferred to my vessel, because if you are and I see a lackadaisical cry baby attitude like you have displayed on this thread I will not only write you up, but I will do everything in my power to fire you. So dont come on here and try to get sympathy. A lot of people have it and have had it a lot worse than you do.”

Write him up for what? If he’s doing his job you have no reason to. Keep being the company man and chewing on that shit sandwich.

and guess what there Boudreaux…just because HGIM FUCKED their guys like this doesn’t make ECO suddenly the shining castle in the swamp. Had HGIM (or any other of the bayoo companies) had a collective bargaining agreement with their mariners, such criminal actions wouldn’t be permitted to happen. There would be a contract which the mariners could use to file suit against the company but you loathe collective bargaining don’t you, even though it protects you.

WHY DON’T YOU GoM PEEBRAINS GET IT THROUGH YOUR UNBELIEVABLY THICK SKULLS THAT THE SINGLE BIGGEST BENEFIT TO BEING PART OF AN ORGANIZED WORKERS COLLECTIVE (ie A UNION) IS THAT YOU WORK WITH A LEGALLY ENFORCEABLE CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT. WITHOUT ONE ALL YOU HAVE IS STATE AND FEDERAL EMPLOYMENT LAW TO PROTECT YOU AGAINST THE BOSS WHICH IN LOUISIANA IS NOTHING. JEAUX HAS THE DECK ENTIRELY IN HIS HANDS TO PLAY AND YOU DON’T EVEN HOLD A SINGLE LOUSY DEUCE…MAYBE A JOKER BUT THAT’S IT!

but who am I to say any of this except the guy who was saying it over and over before it actually happened and y’all suddenly lost so much of what you thought you had “earned”. Back then, there were very, very few here who agreed with my warnings and you went about whistling while you worked until the day Joe’s goons showed up on the dock. Well you got the shiv for no other reason but you turned your back and allowed it to be thrust in between your own shoulder blades…congratulations

Thats just my point, he admitted he was not doing his job or working. He stated he spends all of his time looking for other jobs. Should a man not working be allowed to keep his job?

Again, why pay someone to do a job they are not doing? If someone at the house wants to do the job and will do the job why not let them? Its stupid to pay someone who’s not doing their work. this has nothing to do with company loyalty or eating sandwiches or drinking kool aid. Its about someone being paid to do a job and them not doing it. Replace them with someone who wants to work

thats the problem these days. too many people wanting something for nothing. If you wanna get paid to do nothing, go stand in a welfare line. The fact you have the ability to work and choose not too is a slap in the face to all the mariners who can and want to.

Well guess what, when the Unions went to Louisiana and tried to get everyone organized I was already working for MSC I was in a union so dont generalize me in your shot gun splatter approach to anyone with a job in the GOM.

I highly doubt Harvey had a pension at all.

Is that even legal? I think they can stop the pension plan, but what ever you have vested in it up to that point you are going to get when you retire?

A 401k is not a pension. No, the company can’t reclaim vested company matches from a 401k.

I believe you are right, assuming the employee in question is vested.
every company has a different policy on the timeframe to become vested, too.

The person who mentioned it was talking about guys with 20 years in. Full vesting rarely requires longer than 5 or 6 years as an employee so all of those guys would have been vested. The company that bought the tugs has a significantly better 401k plan than any OSV company and they are fully vested immediately.

No I’m talking about a full blown pension - TOI stopped ours several years ago but they couldn’t recap what they invested - that was ours. We actually used to have both 401K and a pension plan.