Advice on finding a job in Alaska?

Greetings,

I am new to this forum, but have been reading threads from time to time. I would like to hear any and all advice about finding a job in AK on a commercial fishing boat. Salmon, Herring, whatever. I hear the purse seiners are the best to work on. I don’t care if the advice is first, second, or third-hand. As I stated before, any and all will be appreciated. I currently hold a 100T Master w/Tow endorsement and live on the Gulf Coast of FL (I know, a world away from AK). I am a year-round tow captain for Towboat U.S., run a party boat, and a parasail boat during tourist seasons, and have been on boats my whole life. I have been to AK a few times, and love it. I know its a lot different from FL but I have a knack for being on deck and at the helm. I have been in perfect weather to gale force winds and tropical storms (15+ seas), so I am no a stranger to the oceans dangers.

A friend of a friend of mine (and his buddies) went up for a summer or two to work a Salmon season, but I have only gotten a little info from them. Others I have talked to are AK transplants here in FL (some of whom are fishing captains) and they have told me that the best way is to walk the docks and talk to captains. They also told me that my license would give me a little bit of an edge. Research I have done online suggests the same.

What I would like to know specifically is: Do I have correct knowledge? What are some good strategics to finding a job up there? Where are good locations to look (towns, regions, etc.)? When is a good time to start looking (how much time prior to opening day of the season should I go up there)? What kind of gear do I need specifically?

I am looking for a job as a deckhand (entry-level), of course. I am hardwired for hard work and long hours, college educated, boat-savvy, and disciplined. I don’t mind scrubbing the head or changing the oil, and I accept the challenges of this task. Just any kind of constructive advice would be awesome!

Thank you all for your time.

– Ted

Most jobs on seiners are found by knowing the vessel owner. You could spend the summer working on a tender for one of the large seafood companies like trident. They have an online application process through an HR dept. Which means it will be easier for someone outside the industry. Through this job you could make contacts to get a job as a deckhand on a seine boat. But why? On an average year on an average boat you will make 15 to 20k. If you just want to work in Alaska, you could make more money running a tour boat for the summer and you won’t spend your days covered in jelly fish and fish slime while being screamed at by someone with an eighth grade education.

From Craigslist Seattle:

Commercial Fishing AND Charter fishing deck hand opportunity!

The Highliner Lodge is a growing, ambitious fishing lodge. We are expanding and looking for ambitious, honest, hardworking & talented individuals. The lodge is located in a remote fishing village. This is a unique opportunity to learn how to commercial and charter fish in Alaska.

Please see our website: www.highlinerlodge.com

This is an entry level position to both deck hand on a commercial salmon troller and longliner AND work on a charter boat.

Duties include: Cleaning fish, baiting hooks, filleting fish, cleaning boats, carpenter and mechanic helper, painting boats, guided fishing, boat & lodge maintenance, fish processing, and just about any thing that needs to be done.

Ideal for someone looking for long term position with a growing company. Possible advancement / year around employment / profit sharing for an exceptional individual.

Qualifications: Honest, hardworking, attention to detail, great people skills, good references, NO ALCOHOL OR DRUGS. Pre-employment drug testing and enrollment in our random drug/alcohol testing program required.

Season: April - September

To be considered for this position you must provide all of the following: a letter of interest, photo, resume and references.

Compensation: $2500 salary month Tips, Meals & Lodging included
Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

Thanks for the advice. $ is a big motivator (few months of labor for potentially mucho dollars), but also the work itslef has always captivated me so it is also just a trial I would like to put myself through and maybe make a career out of. The experience is probably the main drive for me. I work in the tourism-oriented maritime industry now and am looking for a shift. I will keep that in mind

Wow, thanks! That sounds great! Good ole Craigslist

I beg your pardon, I know that I’m late with this response but this comment strikes a nerve, I’ve been a commercial fisherman for over 35 years, I’ve made over 250k a year at times and always over 100k, I have a college education, 1600grt master oceans license and have never screamed at crew in my life. Even in my early years on deck I made more than my friends on land and my deck crew in AK makes considerably more than you estimate. Commercial fishing is the one business that, in my experience, rewards the most for hard work and the aquiring of skills necessary to do the job. I apologise for sounding so harsh but not all fishermen are ignorant crack addicts, there are bad apples for sure but most are good hard working people.

Some links for your search

search: http://bit.ly/xemZUV

I have some advice… be smart, and dont bother. After fishing for 25 + years, Grand banks to Alaska Bering Sea and back, it is not worth it, there are limited quotas now and it is a cut throat business. I was fortunate, I have had my chief engineer license all the time and I could find a job, but still working for a percentage is tough, no fish, no money, so why do it. My advice… and it is serious advice, get into the oil n gas industry. Go Sub Sea, these guys are in VERY HIGH demand. I work as 2nd Engineer on a DP3 semi Submersible Rig. I work with a SubSea Trainee. he is making salary 150K a year for working 28 days on / 28 days off - 12 hour days. His boss which is called Senior Sub sea Engineer is making over 280K… so You tell me, which would you rather do, work 6 months a year, make this kind of money, or work in the cold, the wet, and have someone screaming and hollering at you all the time, calling you all kinds of names, no sleep, and busting your ass and end up with nothing to show for it after you pay fuel, bait, travel, and other misc. expenses…
I have done it, I have suffered the aches and pains and so much other I dont have the time to tell it all. But seriously, the fishing industry used to be ok, but now… I would not even go there knowing what I know now. Right now personally I am hoping togetmy foot in the door for a trainee position as Sub Sea engineer… Believe me, that is the way to go…

Here is more advice… I did read you question but should have told you about the DPO’s onboard… (Dynamic Positioning Officer) These guys have a great job, same schedule as I mentioned before, I have 2 guys who I work with on here, young guys mid 20’s. They are making 170K… and never see a speck of dirt. Sure they have a huge responsibility… but in all very seriousness, there are much better options if you want to work at sea than fishing… Just don’t do it… it is not worth it. It really isn’t
Good luck

[QUOTE=TOWBOATTED;61168]Greetings,

I am new to this forum, but have been reading threads from time to time. I would like to hear any and all advice about finding a job in AK on a commercial fishing boat. Salmon, Herring, whatever. I hear the purse seiners are the best to work on. I don’t care if the advice is first, second, or third-hand. As I stated before, any and all will be appreciated. I currently hold a 100T Master w/Tow endorsement and live on the Gulf Coast of FL (I know, a world away from AK). I am a year-round tow captain for Towboat U.S., run a party boat, and a parasail boat during tourist seasons, and have been on boats my whole life. I have been to AK a few times, and love it. I know its a lot different from FL but I have a knack for being on deck and at the helm. I have been in perfect weather to gale force winds and tropical storms (15+ seas), so I am no a stranger to the oceans dangers.

A friend of a friend of mine (and his buddies) went up for a summer or two to work a Salmon season, but I have only gotten a little info from them. Others I have talked to are AK transplants here in FL (some of whom are fishing captains) and they have told me that the best way is to walk the docks and talk to captains. They also told me that my license would give me a little bit of an edge. Research I have done online suggests the same.

What I would like to know specifically is: Do I have correct knowledge? What are some good strategics to finding a job up there? Where are good locations to look (towns, regions, etc.)? When is a good time to start looking (how much time prior to opening day of the season should I go up there)? What kind of gear do I need specifically?

I am looking for a job as a deckhand (entry-level), of course. I am hardwired for hard work and long hours, college educated, boat-savvy, and disciplined. I don’t mind scrubbing the head or changing the oil, and I accept the challenges of this task. Just any kind of constructive advice would be awesome!

Thank you all for your time.

– Ted[/QUOTE]

For Alaska work, the first stop is Seattle. There are dozens of companies and plenty of vessels which are engaged in commercial fishing in Alaska which home port in Seattle. Also, this is the place to get a good set of work gear and you will get outfitted cheaper than in Alaska.

For gear, you need, at a minimum a set of Xtra Tuff boots and a solid set of rain gear like Grundens. A good deck knife and warm clothes. Expect to pay at least $300 for decent gear.

Salmon season is the biggest and usually the first one which a lot of green horns cut their teeth on. Weather is warmer, season last longer, more boats fishing, more jobs for green hands.

I would say aim to head to Seattle in May. Apply at every company and walk the docks in Ballard. If you fail to secure a job that way, next stop is to hop a plane to Alaska and conduct your search from there, bearing in mind that airfare, lodging costs and food make Alaska a much more expensive place to look for work than Seattle.

Try Cascade Fishing they always hiring. 206 282 3277

hi im looking for a job in Alaska im 18 and will be graduating form Missouri military academy i am physically fit and educated i have always loved hard work, iv always been at home on the sea no mater the weather. i need a job to help put my siblings though collage and to help pay for my living expenses.
if you hear of any job opening please let me know.

[QUOTE=SaltySailor;65031]For Alaska work, the first stop is Seattle. There are dozens of companies and plenty of vessels which are engaged in commercial fishing in Alaska which home port in Seattle. Also, this is the place to get a good set of work gear and you will get outfitted cheaper than in Alaska.

For gear, you need, at a minimum a set of Xtra Tuff boots and a solid set of rain gear like Grundens. A good deck knife and warm clothes. Expect to pay at least $300 for decent gear.

Salmon season is the biggest and usually the first one which a lot of green horns cut their teeth on. Weather is warmer, season last longer, more boats fishing, more jobs for green hands.

I would say aim to head to Seattle in May. Apply at every company and walk the docks in Ballard. If you fail to secure a job that way, next stop is to hop a plane to Alaska and conduct your search from there, bearing in mind that airfare, lodging costs and food make Alaska a much more expensive place to look for work than Seattle.[/QUOTE]

Good advise here. Approach the crews working on the nets, the boats, the bars in Ballard for starters. Bellingham too. Be friendly and positive, jump in and help out if you see an oppurtunity. Meet as many deckhands as you can, the information will come and you will learn who the captains are. Give out your contact information, to the crew and captain both. But the main thing is persistance and showing you like to work. Expect nothing, you are trying to get noticed, the payoff will come. Pick up the paint brush and pull that net, it takes manpower to move those things on the pier so jump in and help out. That will get you noticed and fits well with what your goal is. If your efforts do not pay off in Seattle, there are seiners in Alaska that need crewmen before and during the season, try Petersburg, Ketchikan, Sitka, Cordova, Kodiak. Your interacting with the crews will be your best bet, you can even offer to fish a ONE day opening for free just to get a start, and provide yourself the satisfaction of knowing if you even want to continue or move on. Good Fishing and good luck! oh yeah, pull harder than everyone else. like that’s your style of work.

As you are starting out your career, I would advise going south not north. AK is nothing like it was 20 years ago. Get your MMD and STCW endorsement, then drive to Galliano and camp out in front of HOS, ECO, Harvey and Candies till you get a OS spot. Bus Driver or Wrench turner route is your choice. Read thru the numerous threads in “Employment” for all the info you need. Look at company benefits HI 401k stock options etc, not dailys, then retire in 20 years at 38 after putting your siblings thru college, and go do something you like.

[QUOTE=TSCOTT;133779]As you are starting out your career, I would advise going south not north. AK is nothing like it was 20 years ago. Get your MMD and STCW endorsement, then drive to Galliano and camp out in front of HOS, ECO, Harvey and Candies till you get a OS spot. Bus Driver or Wrench turner route is your choice. Read thru the numerous threads in “Employment” for all the info you need. Look at company benefits HI 401k stock options etc, not dailys, then retire in 20 years at 38 after putting your siblings thru college, and go do something you like.[/QUOTE]

While going “south” has its advantages, going “north” can too. Twenty years ago (1984), a Southeast Alaska Seine Permit had a value of $40,000.00. The average vessel gross earnings for that year was $92,000.00. If you were to purchase that same permit today it would cost you $314,000.00 as the average gross earnings per vessel have increased substantially. In 2010, it was $251,000, in 2011 - $469,000, in 2012 - $312,000 and in 2013 - $565,000. Not bad for three months work. Correct, fishing is nothing like 20 years ago. Salmon seining is a bit better for the time being, for a young person looking for adventure and some quick money, that is the target fishery in my opinion. Advise is to go north during the good weather, make some money then go south when the heat dissipates and make some more.

Hi guys, you might find some useful information about getting a job on a fishing boat in Alaska on my website https://bsvs.me List of fishing companies in Seattle, videos straight from a fishing boat in the Bering Sea and much more. The information provided is completely free. I would be extremely grateful for any feedback from you guys. Best Regards, Daniel

[QUOTE=nebjennison;133735]hi im looking for a job in Alaska im 18 and will be graduating form Missouri military academy i am physically fit and educated i have always loved hard work, iv always been at home on the sea no mater the weather. i need a job to help put my siblings though collage and to help pay for my living expenses.
if you hear of any job opening please let me know.[/QUOTE]

If you get a chance, take a look at www.uicalaska.com They also have Barge services based out of Seattle that travel to Alaska seasonal.