Admissions

[QUOTE=Flyer69;80896]If you cannot deduce the logic of that saying, you have a long hard road ahead of you in any occupation that requires critical or analytic thinking.[/QUOTE]

I also have to say that our aspiring cadet Tinpot has a distinct lack of being able to use sound judgement by continuing to post asinine statements which spit in the face of so many of us here who have been pointing out the ludicrousness of his words. A circumspect person would take a moment to ask themselves that they must be doing something wrong here and that they should change that.

I know that I don’t want him on my ship…

So you are going to blame your GPA on the school you went to? Surely you knew or should have known the grading system of your high school early on in your time there. Also you are only talking about a 0.5-3.5% difference between grading systems. It looks like at SUNY a B grade is 80-89.

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;80901]So you are going to blame your GPA on the school you went to? Surely you knew or should have known the grading system of your high school early on in your time there. Also you are only talking about a 0.5-3.5% difference between grading systems. It looks like at SUNY a B grade is 80-89.[/QUOTE]
This is what makes me laugh. His lack of understanding on how grading works, hence the “one-eyed man” comment. If he went to a high caliber school and his grades sucked because he is mediocre, going to a shitty school and having your “grade” be “better” because you are surrounded by tards doesn’t change the fact that you are still mediocre.

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;80901]So you are going to blame your GPA on the school you went to? Surely you knew or should have known the grading system of your high school early on in your time there. Also you are only talking about a 0.5-3.5% difference between grading systems. It looks like at SUNY a B grade is 80-89.[/QUOTE]

I am not trying to blame my high school on my GPA just saying its grad scale is higher than most. And you are right I should have none about the scale when I got there but I had no idea what college i was going to or what I wanted to do with my life. And you are correct about SUNY being a 80-89 when I went there they asked for my average percent and not my GPA which I found interesting.

With the grade inflation being what it is at most schools in America today (“where all the children are above average”), giving out a “C” is just a politically correct and polite way of the teacher saying that the student really should have gotten an F.

KP is out for this kid, but he can probably get into a state academy. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. This kid should making the most of his last year of high school by taking (and getting good grades in) calculus and physics.

He should email a link to this thread to KP admissions. Based on his smart ass know it all attitude he is definitely KP material. He hasn’t even attended the “school” yet and it’s already like arguing with a grad. He is a perfect fit.

OK guys. Back off. The kid has had enough.
Reminds me of a bunch of jr. high bullies taking turns kicking the special ed student.

Whiplasher – You can’t prevail in this thread so just let it go.

Do your best to boost your GPA and apply to KP with SUNY as a safety. END OF STORY.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;80923]OK guys. Back off. The kid has had enough.
Reminds me of a bunch of jr. high bullies taking turns kicking the special ed student.

Whiplasher – You can’t prevail in this thread so just let it go.

Do your best to boost your GPA and apply to KP with SUNY as a safety. END OF STORY.[/QUOTE]
A very wise mentor of mine once told me that when starting out I would recieve pain in direct proportion to that which I asked for.
Hoping our young friend has learned a life lesson. Not counting on it, though.

Yep I wave the white flag. Thank you all for the information and the actually reality check while I may not have like it it was good for me.

I’m confused by his comment about the grading scale…I didn’t know about a 10 point scale until I went to college. That doesn’t make your school any tougher, you should be going after an A on everything you do. I graduated from high school with over a 3.2 gpa using the same grading scale your school uses and I’m by no means a wiz. So again, I don’t understand your point…

whiplasher- the real answer to your question about your viability is, it depends. But since nobody on here is from the admissions office the most you will get from your question are guesses, and there are several pieces of information out there that you can look at to help you assess your viability for admission to KP.
Compare yourself to the profile of the class of 2015 which is published on the USMMA web site. http://www.usmma.edu/admissions/facts/Class%20Profile.shtml. 2.5 is the minimum for them even to consider your file, so it would seem that you probably are pretty low on the likelihood scale for getting admitted to Kings Point, but your GPA is mostly important in relationship to the rest of your school. Where do you stand in your class rank? And BTW you will need to get a nomination from your Congressman or Senator first.
This forum is dominated mostly by jackasses who have very little interest in helping you out. I would suggest that you go over to http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/ which is actually set up to provide information for Service Academy and ROTC candidates and families. I think that they also have a section for the State Maritime Academies too. Go over there and you won’t get flamed by twits like C.Captain who make it their mission to screw with anyone who even mentions Kings Point

Jackasses?

[QUOTE=abie3;80953]This forum is dominated mostly by jackasses who have very little interest in helping you out. I would suggest that you go over to http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/ which is actually set up to provide information for Service Academy and ROTC candidates and families. I think that they also have a section for the State Maritime Academies too. Go over there and you won’t get flamed by twits like C.Captain who make it their mission to screw with anyone who even mentions Kings Point[/QUOTE]

to my dearest sir with only one tiny post since October 2011…

now back to the saga of midshipman tinpot and his never ending quest for the Holy Grail!

Someone save this kid some money and just get him a job at Kevin Gros.

[QUOTE=“ElCapitan;80968”]Someone save this kid some money and just get him a job at Kevin Gros.[/QUOTE]

Someone get me a job at Kevin Gros, that is if there boats are bigger than 100 GRT

[QUOTE=riverrat;80856]2.7. Hahaha. You might as well hang that KP dream up in the same closet you came out of. Therefore you better do extra chores around the house so you can save up for that college tuition.[/QUOTE]

You think nobody ever got into KP with a 2.7? Because there are some real retards out there from KP who’s IQ is probably lower than 2.7.

I hope to hell that my tax dollars are not being wasted on providing a free college education for very many kids with less than a 3.5 gpa.

It’s amazing the difference between book smarts and street smarts.

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;80708]I know there is a college school that is free but highly selective and only a few hundred students. It gets paid by donors, I assume very wealthy ones. But I was talking about states paying for high school or grade school education. But alot of state colleges are very cheap if you leave in that state especially community colleges.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Webb Institute, http://www.webb-institute.edu/

A lot also depends on what state you’re from. Each state is guaranteed a number of nominations. So for the most part you’re competing against people from your state.