Admissions

So I am applying to the academy (I don’t need to here negative comments on my choice please) but I will always ask what GPA you need and not one person can give me the same answer. I am not the smartest person in my school by far. I would just like to know the average GPA or percent average you need to get into KP. Thanks in advance!

You sound exactly like the kind of young man who deserves a full 4 year ride to college on the tax payers dime…

With that being said. If you don’t possess a strong mathematics background you will struggle

Once again I did not need the criticism. When I said I wasn’t the smartest I meant my school has extremely smart people. But I am very good at math and science. English is not my strong point but I do get by

If you can’t take criticism. You shouldn’t even apply to an academy. Besides its not about being a nerd that gets you into a school like this. It’s about being a well rounded person.

[QUOTE=riverrat;80630]If you can’t take criticism. You shouldn’t even apply to an academy. Besides its not about being a nerd that gets you into a school like this. It’s about being a well rounded person.[/QUOTE]

I can take criticism it was just I didn’t see the point of it needing to be said in this topic. I would consider myself a very well rounded person and I also have some pretty good recommendation letters I would like to think so. But any information to make me look good would be greatly appreciated.

Well in that case looks like your good. They like to see kids with enthusiasm and goal oriented

I mean it has to be more selective than that doesn’t it?

First class…you better get a thick skin :slight_smile:

Good luck and fair seas

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;80622]So I am applying to the academy (I don’t need to here negative comments on my choice please) but I will always ask what GPA you need and not one person can give me the same answer. I am not the smartest person in my school by far. I would just like to know the average GPA or percent average you need to get into KP. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

I think you will get acurate answers here: http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

If you are looking for a military structure and want to say go in the navy then KP Is for you. If you wanna learn how to be a merchant marine officer have a disciplined college and have more respect when you graduate. You should venture across the water to a maritime. Besides. Most of your classmates if you make it in to kp. Will be at maritime after the first semester.
Had a professor say to our class:

" I would take a kp Cadet to a cocktail party. A Schuyler cadet to a bar fight"

You decide what type of man you are. good luck

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;80622]So I am applying to the academy (I don’t need to here negative comments on my choice please) but I will always ask what GPA you need and not one person can give me the same answer. I am not the smartest person in my school by far. I would just like to know the average GPA or percent average you need to get into KP. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

First of all, never say that you are not smart. Drive, determination, commitment, and persistance determine success at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. According to the Princeton Review of the best colleges in America, the USMMA is the 5th best opportunity in America. There is a strict obligation. The government previously took one graduate to the department of Justice for not honoring the academy obligation. According to the Princeton Review, the Merchant Marine Academy is the hardest federal academy academically. The graduates are highly saught after.

Anyone WHO IS NOT KP GRADUATE OR STUDENT DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. My class highest GPA was a 3.4. IT WAS NEVER A FREE RIDE FOR ME! I did not know until Graduation day that I would graduate.

The reason that others talk about the academy in a negative way is due to their jeoulosy or lack of understanding what the academy education is about. The rest of the federal service academies are seen as Liberal Arts Colleges. That does not exist at the USMMA.

If you think you are not up to par as far as academics is concerned you can always go to the Merchant Marine Academy Prepatory School which is in New Mexico

You can do anything in life if you put your mind up to it.

Don’t listen to the ones who talk it down. They do not have a clue. Hope you are a graduate of the class 2017. Never give up in life is the qoute of Astonaut Mark Kelly a 1986 USMMA grad

Ummm. No criticism. You don’t even need to worry about a GPA. You need political connections, and a governmental appointment. Of course all things being equal, GPA helps, but without connections… How’s that for truth? A school that depends upon political appointments, has a somewhat less than stellar reputation, and graduates more entry into non maritime jobs than actual shipping jobs! On top of that the institution recently closed the continuing Ed program to outside entry. Is this really where YOU want to go for a “Maritime” career? If you do go here will you be prepared for a career in this industry? Really? Do some research into exactly how many jobs are in the US merchant marine today, how many sailors are employed, and how many graduates are hired each year. And most importantly how many graduates actually sail in capacity of their license. Then add up how many graduates come out of all 7 Academies each year. You may be surprised. By my humble (ok, not so humble) opinion there seems to be around 750 graduates each year from all. How many job openings do you think there are? There must be something REALLY special to warrant firing each merchant officer each year so new graduates can have a job! Most new jobs are in brown water industry. KP is woefully unprepared to answer that call. Listen to your tour guides. Read the pamphlets. Look at the hiring stats. Who is lying?

[QUOTE=cappy208;80658]Ummm. No criticism. You don’t even need to worry about a GPA. You need political connections, and a governmental appointment. Of course all things being equal, GPA helps, but without connections… How’s that for truth? A school that depends upon political appointments, has a somewhat less than stellar reputation, and graduates more entry into non maritime jobs than actual shipping jobs! On top of that the institution recently closed the continuing Ed program to outside entry. Is this really where YOU want to go for a “Maritime” career? If you do go here will you be prepared for a career in this industry? Really? Do some research into exactly how many jobs are in the US merchant marine today, how many sailors are employed, and how many graduates are hired each year. And most importantly how many graduates actually sail in capacity of their license. Then add up how many graduates come out of all 7 Academies each year. You may be surprised. By my humble (ok, not so humble) opinion there seems to be around 750 graduates each year from all. How many job openings do you think there are? There must be something REALLY special to warrant firing each merchant officer each year so new graduates can have a job! Most new jobs are in brown water industry. KP is woefully unprepared to answer that call. Listen to your tour guides. Read the pamphlets. Look at the hiring stats. Who is lying?[/QUOTE]

Well if GPA isn’t a factor I should have no problem getting into this school if political connections is all I need. But that also makes me feel bad in a way that if you know big people you get what you want. It is sad that is how America seems to be coming to. I have seen the numbers and I am slightly worried but I think a lot can happen in 5 years. I also know KP is not prepared to teach brown water, but I am hoping that Helis will change the academy better. The hiring stats are probably close to correct but… I think most of them are not in the maritime field.

Just the other day I met a Young Man that has been out of KP for a couple of years. He is working at a local Car Dealership swinging wrenches while waiting for a chance to try out for a semi pro football team. While I wish him all the luck, this does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling due to the fact that MY Tax Dollars paid for his education and now he is going to play football.

I’m a recent grad of KP ('09 to be exact). I have been sailing deep sea with MEBA since I stepped out of the gates. Believe me, I haven’t had the least bit of trouble getting a job of the board. If you’re willing to work holidays and the summers, you can make some money. As far as admissions, its more or less the “overall person” if you will. They do not focus solely on grades or GPA. It will help a lot if you played a sport, JROTC, and other clubs (not to mention if you were in some leadership capacity). As far as the education, it is what you make of it. Take sea years seriously…its not a pleasure cruise. Do your sea projects and don’t just copy and paste from a PONY. Be prepared to take a lot shit because most people do not like KP cadets.

[QUOTE=scengineer;80671]I’m a recent grad of KP ('09 to be exact). I have been sailing deep sea with MEBA since I stepped out of the gates. Believe me, I haven’t had the least bit of trouble getting a job of the board. If you’re willing to work holidays and the summers, you can make some money. As far as admissions, its more or less the “overall person” if you will. They do not focus solely on grades or GPA. It will help a lot if you played a sport, JROTC, and other clubs (not to mention if you were in some leadership capacity). As far as the education, it is what you make of it. Take sea years seriously…its not a pleasure cruise. Do your sea projects and don’t just copy and paste from a PONY. Be prepared to take a lot shit because most people do not like KP cadets.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the post I do play sports, and am VP of clubs and such. I have also found out that a lot of people don’t like KP guys but that’s their opinion.

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;80673]Thank you for the post I do play sports, and am VP of clubs and such. I have also found out that a lot of people don’t like KP guys but that’s their opinion.[/QUOTE]

If you dont get into KP will you still attempt to become a merchant mariner?

[QUOTE=jshrz;80674]If you dont get into KP will you still attempt to become a merchant mariner?[/QUOTE]

Of course. That is what I want to do. I will attend SUNY if I don’t get into KP.

You may not like to be lambasted but too bad for your delicate sensitivities. I don’t give a shit if your feelings are hurt.

Good luck getting into KP tho…you too can be part of that tin pot mini-me Annapolis and match to the greatest hits of the KP Band led by the much selfrevered Captain Kenneth R. Force USMS. You can also get your free ride on that great tasting milk flowing from that one massive taxpayer tit!

btw, the moderators of the forum have asked many times that posters not use one word titles to their threads but since you have NEVER been here before you don’t know that… What a fabulous way to join a community by showing your ignorance.

Oh, it’s that easy huh?

Haha…