Adding an Oceans Endorsement to 1600 Ton Master NC

Congrats and good luck leadsled. I am confident you will do great. We should try to keep this thread going by posting some educational mariner questions related to the Oceans endorsement Master 1600. [B][U]What kind of questions do you expect to be on the test?[/U][/B] Maybee some of the other 1600 Masters or any gross tons masters like jdcavo has could chime in. jdcavo really knows his stuff and is a great resource / attribute for this forum and all of us.

Ok a fun trivia question - Are any of you [B][U]Golden Shellbacks[/U][/B]?. If you are, how and when did you become one?

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;185695]Ok a fun trivia question - Are any of you [B][U]Golden Shellbacks[/U][/B]?. If you are, how and when did you become one?[/QUOTE]

Made it to Emerald Shellback, but not Golden, yet.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;185651]What is Bowditch?!?!
Dude … You’re fucked.[/QUOTE]

Come on, people come here to learn.

Bowditch is when you throw the empty beer cans off the front of the boat when the coast guard is approaching from the stern.

[QUOTE=Saltgrain;185762]Come on, people come here to learn.

Bowditch is when you throw the empty beer cans off the front of the boat when the coast guard is approaching from the stern.[/QUOTE]

Empties float. That might not be too good of an idea. Good one although for a laugh. LOL. I thought you had to have a sticker to throw them overboard. LOL

Looking to Incease scope to oceans, but for mate…20 question nav gen exam, 15 question nav problems oceans. Do ROR have to be re-taken since it’s been over a year? Also looking for what types of problems would be apart of the 20 question Nav gen test?

Also looks as if I need to complete 6 cel nav assessments, are these now required to be signed off by a qualified assessor?

Thanks!

The rules test within a year policy was never supported by regulation and was eliminated almost 10 years ago.

STCW assessments do not have to be signed by a qualified assessor until 12/31/2019, see here.

For STCW, you may need a course in addition to the assessments. as it is now after the grandfathering deadline of 1/1/2017. If so, make sure it is approved for STCW, most of the courses that substitute for the national endorsement (license) exam are not approved for STCW.

Hmmmm…according to the NMC I would have the option of testing under the old exams or new…old exam guide states that I need to also take the class which can be substituted for the exams…new exam guide does not mention anything about taking the course…I was always under the impression that it was one or the other…is it a case by case basis now? My hope is to just take the two modules and not have to worry about the class.

I clearly said the course was for STCW, not the license. For the license, you have the option of taking a course, or an exam at an REC. For STCW, you need the assessments and a course. It’s not case by case, you are intermixing and confusing two separate things.

The NMC claims I do not need to take the class, assessments and tests only for and increase in scope for STCW. I guess we’ll find out when I apply.