Acid corrosion in the EGE

I was reading a document about running the ME at low load for a long time. It says you have to keep the exhaust temperature after the cylinders above 250 °C and after the economizer above 180 °C to minimize acidic corrosion.

I’m wondering if the acids are mainly sulfur based or carbon based? If they are sulfur based, does low sulfur fuel allow us to decrease the exhaust temperature further? Are these kinds of temperatures low enough to have an effect on the NOx? Would a high pH filter or exhaust treatment provide some protection when the exhaust temperature starts to drop?

Thank you for sharing the interesting information. As I hoped, these info will be useful to many people. I am very pleased with our association; we have been able to help one another often. Do not hesitate to call again if I can help.

an nguyen

[FONT=Georgia]civil engineering outsourcing | [/FONT]

happens with cars, locomotives … I’d attribute carbon buildup to lower run temps. Not sure about the effect of the sulpher even though I’ve read/talked about it but the take away was A. you’re stuck with the ‘new’ fuels and B. higher head/exhaust temps lower carbon build up, there will prob be someone more versed in the particulars come on here in a while.

I don’t mean the soot. I mean the CO2 and CO combining with water to make carboxylic acid.

Is soot acidic? I never heard that before.

On a related note: I’m reading about sea water exhaust scrubbers. Sea water is high pH enough to precipitate sulfur acids, apparently. Conveniently, the precipitates are safe and legal to discharge overboard.

when combined with water it sure eats shit but nonetheless, higher head temps reduce buildup as it facilitates buring all that stuff.