Abandoned without food or pay. Happens all the time

IMO is also stepping in to solve the problem of crew abandonment: http://splash247.com/imo-vows-crackdown-seafarer-abandonment/
Will that help to put a stop to this practise?? Probably not.

As a mariner who volunteers on the board of two seafarers missions, I have seen the ITF be effective in helping mariners who are abandoned or wronged. Sometimes it takes them a while to make headway but they work very hard on behalf of mariners world wide

Shipmates, isn’t this because she is flying a Flag of Convenience?? :open_mouth:

In other words, neither Australian nor UK law applies, as the ship is considered the soil of whatever 3rd world country in which she is registered, right? :open_mouth:

Which post are you replying to?? There have been several cases discussed in this thread.

ombugge, yeah the attribution system on here is a little weird…I’m reacting to the August 16 post, which linked to this:

http://gcaptain.com/shipowners-slash-costs-crews-left-behind/

With the world’s biggest Ship managers boycotting Owners who abandon crew a message is being sent, but it is hardly going to stop the scourge since they are not likely to take on such Owners in the first place:

Splash 24/7 is doing a good job highlighting this problem by campaigning for change and shaming authorities that does not take action.

1 Like

I see the Brits have seized a vessel (OSV) to sell to pay out the crew, that the way to do it.

It just took a couple of years.

1 Like

all that back pay, better than being home unemployed.
But yes untold hardship for the family that has been back at home.

Has the shipping world, (+IMO and Government bodies around the world) got “moral duty” to stamp out crew abandonment?? The IMO boss think so:

I would like to see the US federal government sieze abandoned ships after a short period, say 60 days or so, and sell them. Give the money remaining after paying debts accumulated since arrival to the crew.

If the feds sieze the boat it can be sold and flagged US with a coastwise trading document … it’s a good way to add to the Jones Act fleet. If the ship is a rustbucket there is still enough value to pay the crew.

Ban the beneficial owners from ever doing business in the US again. The ship might be a separate company but the owners are people who can be sanctioned. If the IMO is truly interested in stopping this crime against seafarers it must be made more than a “human duty” it must be made a crime and cost the owners dearly.

3 Likes

It is not so much a US problem, as few crews have been stranded in the US, or on US flag ships anywhere. It has to be dealt with on an international basis, with all serious players in shipping doing their bit, maybe starting with IMO.

But IMO doesn’t have any enforcement capability, other than member state authorities. That it took two years to settle a case in UK is an example that present laws and willingness to go to the full extent of the law is lacking.
If the shipping fraternity itself does not pull it’s weight, nothing will help.

My point is that even if there is only one ship a year or even 5 years in the US that is too many and should be dealt with instantly. Of course it is an international problem and should be dealt with the same way in every country, preferably the way I suggested.

There should never be “unknown owners” or crews abandoned for more than a few weeks.

When a crew is abandoned for 10 days in the US, they should be promptly flown home. The ship should be seized and sold within another 30 days.

2 Likes

I’d vote for that if my vote meant anything or if I ever had the opportunity to participate in making labor laws labor friendly instead of the other way around.

The crew wages should be paid by the government and the balance of the money remaining from the sale and repayment of the wage advance should go directly to the crew. If the crimps working for the Philippine manning agencies don’t get paid maybe that will give them reason not to deal with unscrupulous owners.

The two large International Shipowners Associations are not responding to Slpash 24/7’s campaign against crew abandonment:

International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) head and head of Singapore Shipping Association, Esben Poulsson is very much involved though.

There is now a list of abandoned ship available:
http://www.ilo.org/dyn/seafarers/seafarersBrowse.list?p_lang=en
As can be seen the problem is not a small one.
:

Splash 247 have just updated:

1 Like

If we lived in a perfect world where mariner’s rights were acknowledged and protected from corporate parasites and their clubs, I would look forward to their response to having member’s ships siezed and sold within weeks of abandoning crew.

What possible rationale could those august organizations have for refusing to condemn what really is a crime against humanity? Maybe it is time to take labor action against ships operated by those who by their failure to even condemn crew abandonment have identified themselves as parasitic scumbags.

a bank guarantee to be allowed to stop at a port would cover lots of it

No bank guarantees, no bonds, no bail, no get out of jail free cards … as soon as the crew reports being abandoned the ship and cargo should be siezed and every other ship owned by the beneficial owners should also be detained.

When the beneficial owners are so well hidden that they cannot be identified then that itself should be good enough reason to declare the ship abandoned and sold instantly.

This crime against humanity has to be made to hurt those who commit it.

2 Likes