"a" junior deck officer

Excuse me for my ignorance, as this is a very basic question.I know very little about ships and jobs. :

In a book, I read the following phrase:

The flowers were ceremoniously transferred to Janin, a junior deck officer, who delivered them and then sought out Claude Dessard.

Regarding Janin: what does “a” junior deck officer do? Is he like an errand boy or something?

In this case, Claude Dessard is the Third Mate (the junior deck officer).

Did I miss the point or is this just another case of a writer writing about something he doesn’t know much about?

Thank you,

Master is the top o the pile of deck officers aboard ship and thus is the most senior

the chief mate is a senior officer and just below the master

2nd, 3rd mates are often all considered as junior officers although it isn’t really appropriate to consider any well seasoned mate as being a junior but they still aren’t senior either. The 3rd mate with the least amount of seatime is the most junior of the deck officers on a ship.

The absolute bottom of the pile is the deck cadet who is the lowest of lowly worms and needs to be kicked at every opportunity just because…

CMA Decky…I think that if I were you I would PM C.Captain and find out who he works for and avoid that company at all costs…

Nuts to you Shellback…it was meant with humor. I was a deck cadet once upon a time myself in the bad old daze when ships were steampowered and chief mate’s ate us for breakfast after their obligatory coffee and cigarette eye openers!

I took as jest and even sent you a pm to that effect…I thought it was very funny and thought that CMA Decky would think so too…

I guess I’m not communicating things very well these days…We used to have a lot of fun in here besides the serious information that we all share…

Eeeeeeh, watch me paste this pathetic palooka with a powerful, paralyzing, pointing, pachydermous, percussion pitch.

[RIGHT]-bugs circa 1952[/RIGHT]

[quote=c.captain;9852]Eeeeeeh, watch me paste this pathetic palooka with a powerful, paralyzing, pointing, pachydermous, percussion pitch.

[RIGHT]-bugs circa 1952[/RIGHT]
[/quote]

HAH! Perfect…have a good one Captain!:slight_smile:

I agree with c.captain, mostly because the next time I’ll be stepping onto a commercial ship won’t be as a cadet :smiley: