500 Mate

I have 200 master and mate of towing presently. I’m taking advanced fire fighting in Jan. If I do that before 2017 I believe I can get my 500 mate with no testing. I plan on eventually taking a 500 upgrade to master study course and sitting for the 500 master but I don’t have the time right now. I figure I should go for the 500 mate before the any new rule changes take effect. Has anyone here gone from 200 master and added 500 mate?

I am pretty sure you have to test.

I am in the same boat. I have 200 master NC, 500 Master INL/GL, Master of Tow INL/GL, Mate of Tow NC… I am studying now and planning to sit for the Mate 1600/ Master 500 exams at the same time.

The exam guide list separate modules for those licenses and does not mention any crossover exam:

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/training/exams/pdfs/deck_questions_as_of_3_24_14/MCP-MA-NMC2-08(01).pdf#page16

NMC told me there was no test for mate 500 if you’re a master 200. I just need advanced FF they said… Maybe Mr. Cavo will shed some light…

I would think the NMC is incorrect on this one. Do your own research for sure before you begin the upgrade journey.

Well if that is the case it would save me a lot of BS! Let me know how it works out for you…
Would that mean then that you can upgrade to 1600/3M on sea time? Without ever taking the 500/1600 mate exam?

I would love to believe that, but…

by that logic you’d be able to go all the way to second mate after only testing for 200 master. I doubt it too!

I know a guy who had a 200 t master of tow, and he was able to upgrade to 500 t master with only three exams. Rules, Deck General and Deck Safety. I think one of the deck modules had some nav gen thrown in, I don’t recall the particulars. It’s a nice path though because there’s no charting or terrestrial. Maybe there is a similair path for a mate of tow?

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=HooliganMariner;174226]NMC told me there was no test for mate 500 if you’re a master 200. I just need advanced FF they said… Maybe Mr. Cavo will shed some light…[/QUOTE]

If that was a possible option, when I upgraded a couple years ago I would have considered that. Guess it all goes back to how your evaluator does their thing…

I can’t believe this could be the case. It seems too easy. I hold a 200 ton NC master, and I’ve been studying for the 500 upgrade. I don’t have a towing endorsement. Eagerly waiting the final answer on this thread, but it seems like you should have to test.

[QUOTE=swab;174258]I can’t believe this could be the case. It seems too easy. I hold a 200 ton NC master, and I’ve been studying for the 500 upgrade. I don’t have a towing endorsement. Eagerly waiting the final answer on this thread, but it seems like you should have to test.[/QUOTE]

The only deal I’ve heard is the limited exam for the folks with an MOT going 200 master to 500 master.

[QUOTE=HooliganMariner;174226]NMC told me there was no test for mate 500 if you’re a master 200. I just need advanced FF they said… Maybe Mr. Cavo will shed some light…[/QUOTE]

Better get that in writing. The NMC told me there was no such license as a Master 200 Oceans.

[QUOTE=HooliganMariner;174218]I have 200 master and mate of towing presently. I’m taking advanced fire fighting in Jan. If I do that before 2017 I believe I can get my 500 mate with no testing. I plan on eventually taking a 500 upgrade to master study course and sitting for the 500 master but I don’t have the time right now. I figure I should go for the 500 mate before the any new rule changes take effect. Has anyone here gone from 200 master and added 500 mate?[/QUOTE]
2017 is irrelevant. That’s for STCW, and you’re asking about the national endorsement (license).

For the LICENSE, you must take an exam, and you need basic and advanced firefighting no matter when you do it. This is not new, it has been that way since at least 1987.

For STCW, you may not need some of the training if you do it before January 1, 2017. But you will need, at a minimum, the following for the STCW endorsement as Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch (OICNW):

OICNW assessments
Bridge Resource Management
Proficiency in Survival Craft
STCW Basic Safety Training
Basic and Advanced Firefighting
Radar Observer (if not done before)
ARPA (to work on a vessel with ARPA)
GMDSS (to work on a vessel with GMDSS)

After January 1, 2017, you will need 11 additonal courses.

See NVIC 12-14 for more information.

I doubt they told you that, you may not have understood the answer, or they may not have understood your question. There is a test.

[QUOTE=Ctony;174256]I know a guy who had a 200 t master of tow, and he was able to upgrade to 500 t master with only three exams. Rules, Deck General and Deck Safety. I think one of the deck modules had some nav gen thrown in, I don’t recall the particulars. It’s a nice path though because there’s no charting or terrestrial. Maybe there is a similair path for a mate of tow?[/QUOTE]

There isn’t. The “limited” exam is only for Master of Towing going to Master 500. See 46 CFR 11.418(b).

Thank you Mr. Cavo