500/1600 Upgrade to 3rd Mate Reconsideration

I received my 500T Master based on sea time after 1998. In 2005 I applied for my upgrade to Third Mate. I discovered that I needed a lot more sea time and since most of my 4000+ sea days were on vessels under 200GT, as a Captain. I needed to work as [B]AB[/B] on a ship over 10,000GT to get at least 50% of the required 720 days over 1600GT. I ended up staying with the ship for all of my sea time, since that’s where I want to be Mate and Captain.

Read pages 1-5 and 1-6 of the NMC Policy Letter 01-02. http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/marpers/pag/1-02.pdf . Notice that the upgrade from 3rd to 2nd reads the same as 500T/1600 to 3rd Mate (no further testing or assessments required).

The NMC didn’t agree and said if I were a 500T Mate, it does apply. (I have that in writing.) I am an applicant for Third Mate. There actually are two stipulations; the sea time needs to be after Feb 1998 and over 200T. I am approved to upgrade to 1600T Master after a rules test; it should be the same for 3rd Mate.

I sent in a letter of reconsideration explaining this and more but I haven’t heard back since 19 February 2009. Since I am in dispute with the NMC I haven’t been able to view my “Application Status” online.

What is the reconsideration timeline for an [B]AB[/B] like me? Is this the normal operating procedure for the “New NMC”? Seems like a one-day event at the old REC.

[SIZE=4]Who can help expedite this?
[/SIZE]

So you’re saying that if you take a rules test, you can receive a 1600T Masters license? I would think you would be able to get a 3rd mate at that point, since when somebody upgrades to 2nd mate, they can take a 70 question test, and get the 1600T Master.

Whenever you cross over from the old system, particularly when changing tonnage groups, you will have to take a full OICNW exam. The verbage “no futher testing or assessment required” is usually based on the fact that you have been tested on that level under the new system. Reference the Deck Guide.

Thanks for your reply. I am in the “New System”.

I received my 500T Master based on sea time after 1998.

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]That’s the New System. If you read the Policy Letter it seperates the old system from the new. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Read pages 1-5 and 1-6 of the NMC Policy Letter 01-02. http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/marpers/pag/1-02.pdf .

There actually are two stipulations; the sea time needs to be after Feb 1998 and over 200T

By the way… the only reason I have to take rules for my 1600 is because it is also my renewal time. My seatime is entirely based after 2001 for the 500/1600 and now with well over 1080 days as AB on a vessel over 12,000GT. Really what do they want?

I’ve had this sort of problem sorted out in minutes at the New Orleans REC when applying for my AB Unlimited. Another long story. Am I the first to rise from the lower level in the New System?