3M to 1600 ton Master

<P>I’ve just been approved for 2nd Mate AGT and Master 1600 GT but the exam proctor is saying that I have to take all 6 or 7 modules for the 1600 ton license, even though I’ve been approved for 2nd mate. I know several guys that took a 70 question test and I seen that on here, so I know this guy is giving me a hard time for some reason. Does anyone know where I can find the info I need to get this proctor to give me the right exam. I have looked in the CFR’s and I can’t find anything. If anyone has any info, I would really appreciate it…</P>

When all else fails, look in the manual they do - Deck Exam Guide <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);](I’ve corrected this as per Mr. Cavo’s post below from Marine Safety Manual to Deck Exam Guide, along with the appropriate link change)</span> Sorry for the original misinformation!!<br><br>We have a few folks here that I’m sure will wade in later, but the gentleman is wrong. All he has to do is refer to his own checklist, unless he’s getting wayward information from NMC.<br><br>Read the manual, and you’ll find the info you’re looking for.

It’s not in the Marine Safety Manual, it’s in the Deck Exam Guide:<br>http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/training/MLD-MA-NMC-01v09_DkGuide_Nov2007.pdf<br><br>See page 2-12, footnote 7. You can take a “partial” exam after you’ve passed all the 2nd Mate exam modules and the flashing light. The footnote says if you “hold” the 2nd Mate license, we have consistently allowed the same exam to be given to someone approved for 2nd Mate who’s passed all of the exams.<br><br>If you got your 3rd Mate license before 2002 by taking the old exams, you need to take the complete 2nd Mate exam (the old one) and a one-module “partial” exam for Master 1600 after passing all of the 2nd Mate exams.<br><br>If you took the combined “OICNW” exam for 3rd Mate, you can take the partial is two modules, the second one is a rules exam.<br><br>By the way, this “crossover” will eventually go away, or shift, when we fully implement STCW. The “management level” of STCW (Chief Mate and Master) requires more sea time than we currently require for Master 1600. This crossover will shift to Chief Mate for most.<br><br>James D. Cavo<br>Chief, Mariner Training & Assessment Division (NMC-2)<br>USCG National Maritime Center<br>James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil